Jubilee fairy cakes
- 125g butter, softened
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 125g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Zest of ½ orange and juice of ½ orange
For the buttercream
- 100g butter
- 300g icing sugar, plus extra to dust
- Zest ½ orange
- Raspberry jam
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan oven/gas mark 5. Line a bun tin with paper cases.
2. Make the cakes. Beat the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale and creamy, using an electric hand whisk. Gradually add the egg, a little at a time, and whisk in. Add a spoonful of flour if the mixture looks as if it is going to curdle.
3. When all the egg has been added, fold in the flour, baking powder and orange zest and juice, using a large metal spoon.
4. Spoon the mixture evenly among the individual cases and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden on top. Cool on a wire rack.
5. Make the buttercream by beating together the butter and half the icing in a bowl until soft and creamy using an electric hand whisk. Gradually add the remaining icing sugar, one spoonful at a time, beating in well after each addition. Fold in the orange zest.
6. Carefully cut the slightly-risen tops off each cake and set to one side. Spoon the icing into a piping bag and pipe a swirl on top of each cake. Spoon a little jam on top. Cut each of the cake tops in half and push into the buttercream at an angle. Dust each cake with icing sugar to serve.
Nutritional info: Per serving: 346 kcals / 17g fat / 10g saturated fat / 46g carbs/ 39g sugar / 0.6g salt.
All Budgens stores, which are owned by independent retailers, stock the new SuperValu range. To find your nearest store visit www.budgens.co.uk