Preparation time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Finely grated zest of 3 oranges
- 5 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 100ml (3½fl oz) sunflower oil
- 120ml (4fl oz) milk
- 3 eggs
- 250g (9oz) plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 200g (7oz) caster sugar
- 100g (3½oz) ground almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF/Gas 4). Grease and line a 23cm (9in) springform cake tin with baking parchment. In a jug mix together the orange rind, orange juice, oil, and milk, then beat in the eggs.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and sugar then stir in the almonds. Make a well in the centre, then pour in the orange mixture and beat with an electric hand whisk until smooth and well mixed. Transfer to the prepared tin, and level the surface.
3. Cook for about 1 hour (cover with foil if overbrowning), or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool slightly, and remove the tin. Slice the warm cake, top with a dollop of the cream, a drizzle of syrup, and pomegranate seeds.
Recipe courtesty of MasterChef EveryDay, DK, £20, dk.com. Buy it at a discount from