Christmas pudding ice cream
Serves 4. Makes 500ml ice cream
- 1 x 500ml tub vanilla ice cream
- 200g (7oz) Christmas pudding
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 200g (7oz) caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 x vanilla pod, split
- 4 satsumas, peeled and cut in half widthways
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer and allow to soften slightly for 5-10 minutes. Meanwhile, crumble the Christmas pudding into a mixing bowl and pour over the brandy. Allow to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Take the ice cream and mix in the crumbled Christmas pudding, then place back in the freezer until required, removing 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F), Gas 4.
- Pour the sugar into a non-stick saucepan and set on the hob over a medium heat. Allow to caramelise, then remove from the heat. Add the split vanilla pod and scraped-out seeds, then gradually add 50ml (2fl oz) water, stirring it in, and set aside.
- Place the satsumas on a baking sheet, sprinkle with a little sugar and roast for 5-6 minutes. Remove from the oven and place in a serving dish. Pour over the caramel sauce and serve each with a scoop of the Christmas pudding ice cream.
James Martin's latest book, My Kitchen (Collins, £20) is out now with hundreds of seasonal recipes.