- 900g (approx 5) Bramley apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 75g caster sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- 175g butter
- 225g plain flour
- 100g sugar
- 175g oats
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Fan 180C/400F/Gas Mark 6.
- Place the Bramley slices, caster sugar and cinnamon (if using) into a large ovenproof dish.
- Rub the butter into the plain flour, sugar and oats. Scatter the crumble over the Bramley mixture in an even layer.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden and the apples are tender.
Apples are rich in sugars (glucose, fructose, and sucrose). They also contain useful amounts of fibre, vitamin C and potassium. Quercetin, a flavonoid that may help protect against heart disease, is also present.
Our thanks to I'm in season for permission to use this recipe