Sweet and sour pork. Stock image.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes
To freeze: Don’t thicken with cornflour if freezing but cool quickly, pack in a rigid container and freeze for up to 3 months; reheat, then thicken before serving
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 500g pork stir-fry meat or fillet, cut into small strips
- 1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks
- ¼ cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 1 red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 430g can of pineapple pieces in natural juice
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp grated fresh root ginger (or ginger purée)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed (or ½ tsp garlic purée)
- 2 tbsp soft light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp rice or white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp water
Egg Fried Rice
Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan. Add the pork and stirfry for 4 minutes. Remove from the pan.
Add the vegetables and stir-fry for 1 minute until they start to soften.
Stir in the remaining ingredients except the cornflour and water, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Return the pork to the pan.
Blend the cornflour with the water and stir in. Bring to the boil and cook for 1minute, stirring gently, until thickened slightly and clear.Taste and add more soy sauce, if liked.
Serve with egg fried rice.
How To Cook Your Favourite Takeaways At Home by Caroline Humphries is published by How To Books Ltd, priced £9.99. Buy this book at a discount from Saga Bookshop.