- Pre-heat the oven to 175°C (160°C fan assisted, 350°F, gas mark 4). Grease a large baking tray.
- In a small saucepan, melt together the butter, syrup and sugar, stirring.
- Place the flour, together with the spices, in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the melted sugar/butter mix into the flour and stir with a wooden spoon until it comes together as a dough.
- Divide the dough into 24 small pieces (or 12 for large biscuits) and roll each into a ball. Place on the tray and flatten each very slightly with your finger (they will spread more in the oven).
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until starting to brown, then remove from the oven and allow to cool for a couple of minutes before transferring to a rack to cool completely. (They will harden once cold.)
Best served just as they are – crisp, spicy and warming. But you could always glaze them with a little white icing and gold leaf, if you fancied making them that little bit special.
From Beautiful Baking, published by Simon & Schuster Ltd.