Grilled Cajun spiced salmon
Spice up your healthy helping of omega 3 and add a bit of flavour to salmon.
Grilled salmon makes a healthy and tasty meal
- 4 salmon steaks each weighing about 100-150g (4-5oz)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon mild paprika
- Good pinch cayenne pepper
- Good pinch ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- Pinch salt
- About 12 black peppercorns
- Prepare the topping first using a pestle and mortar to crush the garlic and salt together well.
- Add the paprika, cayenne pepper, cumin, thyme, oregano, mustard powder and peppercorns and mix well to form a soft paste. If it seems a little dry a touch of olive oil may be stirred in.
- Preheat the grill to medium heat. Brush each side of each salmon steak with the olive oil. Place the salmon on the grill rack and grill for 4-5 minutes. Turn the salmon over carefully.
- Spread the topping evenly over the surface of the salmon and grill this second side for a further 4-5 minutes until cooked. Lift carefully from the grill rack and serve immediately. Serve with new boiled potatoes and fresh asparagus.
- To check whether the fish is cooked, pierce the flesh with a sharp knife.
- It should be just starting to fall from the bone.
- Care should be taken not to over-cook it.
- Salmon was once an expensive fish served only on high days and holidays but it is now less expensive, easy to obtain and can be enjoyed much more frequently.
- While it has an excellent flavour of its own, it benefits from the addition of a sauce or topping to prevent it drying out and this recipe also adds a delicious piquancy.
The opinions expressed are those of the author and are not held by Saga unless specifically stated.
The material is for general information only and does not constitute investment, tax, legal, medical or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation.