Saga has teamed up with The Silver Line charity to raise funds for its 24-hour helpline for lonely older people. And as it’s Silver Week this month, we thought we’d encourage donations with a prize draw to win thousands of pounds’ worth of the real stuff!
The Silver Line is a free, confidential service, founded by Dame Esther Rantzen in 2013, which offers advice, links callers to local services, and whose volunteers have weekly chats with people, striking up real friendships. But it needs help!
Since its creation, more than a million people of all ages have rung in – some asking for information but most just for a friendly chat because they simply have no one else to talk to.
Surveys have shown that Britain is the loneliness capital of Europe. A recent poll found that one in eight adults have no close friends or confidantes. Disturbingly, younger people reported feeling as lonely as those over 65 – almost a third felt lonely often or all the time.
And a million older people confessed to feeling lonely often or always – some hadn’t spoken to anyone in a month, with the TV their only company.
‘I think the biggest problem in modern life is that we are all – I’m talking about every age group – just too busy to go and see that elderly relative or neighbour. But there are 90-year-olds as well as 20-year-olds who are volunteering for us, alongside plenty of 50- and 60-somethings,’ says Dame Esther.
The Silver Line receives 10,000 calls every week from lonely and isolated older people with 53% of callers saying they have no one else to speak to.
Now Saga is hoping to help The Silver Line, which is working towards raising the £1.65 million it needs, especially in order to keep its vital night-time service going.
Dame Esther says: ‘If we can’t raise this, we might have to cut the night-time service, which would be a tragedy because more than two-thirds of our calls are at night. That’s when loneliness strikes.
‘Our partnership with Saga could transform The Silver Line and the lives of so many older people throughout the UK.’
And from all of us here at Saga – thank you for your donations.
Donate now for the chance to win real solid silver
We thought we’d put the fun into fundraising! So for every £5 donated we’ll put your name into a prize draw to win some solid silver, donated by the kindly bunch at Bullion by Post.
Want to give more than £5? Great – for each multiple of £5 we’ll enter you again. So £50 means you’ll have ten entries into the draw.
First out of the hat will win a bar of solid silver, weighing a massive 5kg (11lb)! As the price of silver, like gold, fluctuates every day it’s difficult to give this a value, but at the time of going to print it was worth more than £2,500.
The next five names chosen at random will each receive a boxed set of five solid silver coins worth around £130.
The final winner will receive a boxed, solid silver Britannia coin worth around £20.
Closing date is May 31, 2017. GOOD LUCK!
See silver and gold prices – and more – at www.bullionbypost.co.uk 0121 634 8060.
How to enter The Silver Line prize draw
By email: Please email your name and telephone number to email@example.com who will call you back to take your donation and confirm your entry to the prize draw
By post: Please make cheques out to Saga Charitable Trust and send with your name, address, phone number (plus email address if you have one) to: The Silver Line Draw, The Saga Charitable Trust, Enbrook Park, Folkestone, Kent CT20 3SE.
Remember, multiple entries are permitted, with one entry available for every £5.
Terms and conditions
1. The prize draw is open to all UK residents aged 18 years or over, except employees of the Promoter, their families, agents or any third party directly associated with administration of the prize draw.
2. Upon making a donation of £5 to the Saga Charitable Trust (who will hold all donations on trust for The Silver Line), you will be eligible to enter into the prize draw.
3. All entries must be submitted by post to Saga Charitable Trust, Enbrook Park, Folkestone CT20 3SE or made by telephone to 01303 774069 . Multiple entries are permitted, with one entry available for every £5 donated up to a maximum of 4,000 entries in total. Any entry made after the maximum amount of entries has been achieved will not be counted, and all donations in relation to those entries will be returned to the donor.
4. The opening date for entries is 0900 on Monday 24th April 2017. The closing date of the prize draw is 1700 on Wednesday 31st May 2017. Entries received after this time will not be counted.
5. If for any reason a technical interruption or fault occurs when donating over the telephone, the Promoter does not take any responsibility for incomplete donations and any incomplete donations will not be considered valid for entry into the prize draw. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any donations which are not completed for any reason.
6. All winners will be chosen by random draw performed by a computer process on Thursday 1st June 2017 ("Draw Date").
7. The first prize winner will receive a 5kg Silver Bar, the next five winners will each receive a 1oz 5-coin silver gift set with gift box and the next prize winner will receive a 1oz silver Britannia coin with gift box.
8. The winners will be contacted by the Saga Charitable Trust by telephone or email (using details provided at entry) before Friday 16th June 2017 and must provide a postal address to claim their prize. If a winner does not respond to the Promoter within 14 days of being notified by the Promoter, then the winner's prize will be forfeited and the Promoter will be entitled to select another winner in accordance with the process described above.
9. The prizes will be sent by Bullion by Post to the winners by secure delivery within 21 days of being notified of their win.
10. Prizes are subject to availability. The prize for the winner is non-exchangeable, non-transferable and no cash alternative is offered.
11. The prizes are supplied by Bullion By Post, Jewellery Quarter Bullion Ltd.
Floor 16, Centre City Tower, 7 Hill Street, Birmingham B5 4UA (the "Supplier"). The Promoter reserves the right to replace the prize with an alternative prize of equal or higher value if circumstances beyond the Promoter's control make it necessary to do so.
12. The decision of the Promoter regarding any aspect of the prize draw is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into about it.
13. The winner's name and county can be obtained by sending a stamped addressed envelope to Sarah Jenner, Saga Charitable Trust, Enbrook Park, Folkestone CT20 3SE within 14 days after Draw Date.
14. Participants are deemed to have accepted and agreed to be bound by these terms and conditions upon entry. The Promoter reserves the right to refuse entry, or refuse to award the prize to anyone in breach of these terms and conditions.
15. The Promoter reserves the right to hold void, cancel, suspend, or amend the promotion where it becomes necessary to do so.
16. Insofar as is permitted by law, the Promoter, its agents or distributors will not in any circumstances be responsible or liable to compensate the winner or accept any liability for any loss, damage, personal injury or death occurring as a result of taking up the prize except where it is caused by the negligence of the Promoter, its agents or distributors or that of their employees. Your statutory rights are not affected.
17. Winners may be required to participate in publicity related to the prize draw which may include the publication of their name and photograph in any media.
18. Personal data supplied during the course of this promotion may be passed on to third party suppliers only insofar as required for fulfilment/delivery/arrangement of the prize.
19. The prize draw will be governed by English law and entrants to the prize draw submit to the jurisdiction of the English courts.
20. The Promoter of this prize draw is the Saga Charitable Trust, Enbrook Park, Folkestone CT20 3SE, for and on behalf of The Silver Line, 40 Queen Anne Street, London W1G 9EL.