I am sure many of you have velvet pieces in your wardrobe; perhaps a classic black velvet jacket or long velvet dress, reserved for Christmas parties.
Well, you’ll be pleased to know that the fabric is back and ruling the autumn/winter 2016/17 fashion catwalks.
Velvet dresses were abundant at Prada and Gucci, velvet trouser suits at Emporio Armani and Lanvin and exquisite velvet coats at Vetements.
Fashion giant Ralph Lauren is about to celebrate his 50th anniversary in the industry and his latest designs featured velvet gowns in colourful hues.
Key velvet wardrobe pieces
Velvet jacket – try Museum Selection; JD Williams; Damart
Velvet dress – try Ralph Lauren; Coast; Monsoon
Velvet scarf – try Beckford Silk; Not On The High Street; Victoria Richards
Velvet handbag – try Mandarina Shoes; Debenhams; Jigsaw
Velvet shoes – try Charlotte Olympia; Chie Mihara; Peter Hahn
How to wear velvet
Velvet can be incorporated into any outfit. Here are my suggestions of how to wear it with style.
Pair a velvet jacket with a maxi skirt
Pair velvet leggings with a comfy sweater
Pair a velvet skirt with tights and loafers
Pair a velvet kimono with jeans and a t-shirt
Pair a one-colour velvet dress with a statement necklace
Pair velvet trousers with a print blouse
How to care for velvet
1. Carefully read the label as some velvet fabrics need dry cleaning (knit and fine velvet) whereas others can be popped in the washing machine. I recommend you take velvet pieces to a dry cleaner and check with them first.
2. NEVER iron velvet. The weight of the iron, combined with the heat will crush the pile and might leave a scorch mark or imprint.
3. Invest in a steamer – this will serve you well with velvet and other fabrics such as silk and cashmere.
4. Hang velvet pieces on a padded material hanger (wood or wire hangers can alter the shape of the material). Never fold velvet as the pile will become creased and hard to remove. If you have to fold, due to space restrictions, then put non-acidic tissue paper between the folds.
5. If your velvet gets wet do not blot it as again this will ruin the pile. Instead shake it off and then let dry naturally.