Expensive holidays left unprotected as Saga research shows 4 out of 10 people delay getting travel insurance until the last minute
1 in 10 over 50s take part in extreme sports such as snowboarding
For information on Saga Travel Insurance call 0800 096 4556 or visit
In their quest to live life to the full, the over 50s are increasingly ready to try more adventurous and adrenalin-fuelled activities, with recent research showing that six out of ten are keen to throw themselves into learning a new activity*. Currently one in ten already take part in extreme or highly energetic sports such as snowboarding or mountain climbing.
But as the many ski enthusiasts head off for the thrills and spills of winter sports activities, Saga Travel Insurance says that we are not so quick at protecting our expensive holiday plans. Nearly 40% (39.4%) of holidaymakers delay taking out travel insurance until the month before their departure date, and with 35% of claims being for unexpected cancellation, this leaves many people completely unprotected should their trip need to be cancelled**>
The Saga Saver Pet cover joins the "Essential" and "Super" options already offered by Saga to complete a suite of products to suit all pockets. With monthly premiums from 2.91 for a cat and 6.40 for a dog** pet owners can have peace of mind for much less than the price of a tin of pet food a day.
Andrew Goodsell, Group Chief Executive, Saga, comments: "Todays over 50s are more prepared than ever before to learn a new skill and take on demanding and physically challenging pursuits. Our advice to anyone planning a holiday is to ensure that insurance is in place as soon as you have booked your holiday."
In response to this growing trend for adventure, Saga has recently increased its Winter Sports Cover to include snowboarding (including off-piste) snow shoeing, snow mobiling, sledging and off-piste skiing***.
* Protection against damage to your winter sports equipment, if it is lost, stolen or damaged by accident during your holiday
* Cover for the cost of extra travel and accommodation due to an avalanche and piste closure due to unsuitable weather conditions
* Refund on the cost of your non-refundable ski pack, if you are medically unable to ski or board and compensation, if, due to illness or injury during your trip, you cannot take part in winter sports activities
* 24-hour worldwide Medical Emergency Assistance Service
* Emergency medical and associated expenses up to 10,000,000 per person per trip
* Cancellation charges up to 5,000
* Missed departure up to 1,000
* Baggage up to 2,500
Saga, in association with the Foreign & Commonwealth Office, is offering a free guide ("Mind how you go") with advice on planning a safe, secure and relaxing trip overseas. It includes sections on your holiday money, personal security, how to get the best from your mobile phone, preparing for a winter sports holiday and securing your home while your are away.
Saga Travel Insurance is available to people aged 50 and over. For more information or for a free guide call 0800 096 4556 or visit saga.co.uk
Notes to editors:
*Respondents were asked if they would like to take part in the following activities: Learning to fly, white water rafting, marathon running, surfing, sailing, sky diving, rally car driving, skiing or snowboarding, mountain climbing, taking part in a long distance expedition or trek. (The research was commissioned by Saga Holidays and conducted by NOP World in June 2005).
** Figures based on claims data from Saga Travel Insurance
Saga Travel Insurance covers the cancellation or curtailment of holidays as a result of the following:
* accidental bodily injury or illness (or death) either of the insured or of a relative or friend you have arranged to travel or stay with
* jury service summons or appearance as a witness in a Court of Law during the period of the trip
* your home becoming uninhabitable following accidental damage
* your presence being required by the Police following burglary at your home
*** Cover for off-piste skiing and snowboarding with a qualified guide in areas that resort management consider to be safe. No Personal Liability cover for snow mobiling.
For further press information please contact the Saga Press Office on: 01303 771529.