Saga adds higher-risk activities to travel coverThursday 21 July 2005
Saga adds higher-risk activities to travel cover
Saga's travel insurance now covers wide range of activities as standard
For information on Saga Travel Insurance call 0800 096 4556 or visit www.saga.co.uk
The over 50s are increasingly embracing so called higher-risk sports and activities, preferring excitement and adventure on holiday to more leisurely pursuits*. As this trend for travel and adventure continues to grow, Saga Travel Insurance has introduced automatic cover for a wide range of leisure activities with additional options to cover scuba diving and winter sports.
If money were no object, nearly two-thirds (60%) of over-50s would take extended time out to travel the world. Nearly half of all 55-64 year olds questioned (47%) are currently planning a far flung holiday and one in ten would like to travel to Antarctica compared to a tiny 4% of under 50s, showing that age is no barrier to adventure. Given the choice, 45% of over 50s would consider scuba diving and 17% pot holing.
Andrew Goodsell, Chief Executive, Saga, commented: "Increasing numbers of over 50s are seeking out an active and challenging lifestyle and might not stop to consider whether their travel insurance covers them for a particular sport or activity. If you might be tempted to try something new while you're away it's worth making sure you have adequate cover."
A few of the leisure activities now included by Saga Travel Insurance include canoeing, snorkelling, sailing, jet-skiing, surfing, trampolining, hill and fell walking and cycling.**
For more information on Saga Travel Insurance call 0800 096 4556
* Research commissioned by Saga Holidays and conducted by NOP World in July 2004
** Complete list of leisure and sports activities covered are as follows
- Archery (under supervision)
- Beach cricket, football and volleyball
- Body boarding
- Canoeing, kayaking and rafting (grades 1 and 2 only)
- Clay pigeon shooting (under supervision)
- Cycling (not including racing)
- Go karting
- Hill and fell walking (up to 2000 metres)
- Horse riding (no jumping or hunting)
- Ice skating (no speed skating)
- Jet skiing
- Motorcycling up to 125cc
- Roller blading or skating
- Sail boarding
- Sailing (inland or coastal waters only) *
- Table tennis
- Tug of war
- Water polo
Additional Optional Cover Includes:
Winter Sports Cover - Scuba Diving
- Cross country skiing (on recognised paths) - Golf
- Dry slope skiing
- Off-piste skiing
- Off-piste snowboarding
- Skiing (on recognised pistes)
- Snowboarding (on recognised pistes)
- Snow shoeing
- Snow mobiling
no Personal Liability cover
* Coastal waters are defined as within a 12-mile limit of the coastline
For further press information please contact the Saga Press Office on: 01303 771529.
Share this page
The Saga Group Communications Team only deal with enquiries from the media.
If you're not a journalist, visit our contact us page for a full list of telephone numbers.