One in seven over 50s take lone holidays to escape the 'other half'Wednesday 25 April 2007
One in seven over 50s take lone holidays to escape the 'other half'
- One in seven over 50s take lone holidays to escape the 'other half', according to research by Saga Holidays
- One in three people aged 50 and over have holidayed alone
- One in seven over 50s jet off for some time away from "'er indoors"
The traditional romantic weekend away could be on the wane, as research released today by Saga Holidays has revealed that more than one in seven holidaymakers aged 50 say they holiday alone to escape their partner.
An extensive survey of the over 50 population by leading tour operator Saga Holidays, the biggest operator of singles holidays in the UK, has found that the biggest reason for people to take lone holidays is to pursue a hobby, such as golf. However, a significant proportion - one in seven - who travel solo are taking the break to spend some time away from their "other half".
Going on holiday alone to meet new friends was also the major driver for 36 per cent of over 50s who jet away on their own, while a plucky five per cent say their reason is to meet a new partner.
The research found that one in three respondents have holidayed on their own, with men (36 per cent) more likely to have packed their bags and travelled alone than women (27 per cent).
And the UK remains the most popular destination for over-50s who travel solo with 32 per cent preferring to staying on home soil. Spain (18 per cent), France (18 per cent) and Italy (14 per cent) are the next popular destinations.
Andrew Goodsell, Chief Executive, Saga Group said: "Far from people wanting to spend all their precious holiday time with a loved one, it seems that for many, some time alone is the order of the day. This research has shown that many like to have time away from their partner and our experience tells us that many either do not have a partner and are more comfortable travelling with other single people or they travel alone because they want to pursue a special interest that their partner does not share the same enthusiasm for.
Whatever the reason for travelling solo, people do enjoy the company of other travellers while they are away and like the reassurance that they will not have to face dining alone or getting bored of their own company."
Saga Holidays' Top 10 Tips for Single Travellers:
1) Use the hotel facilities such as the gym or bar as a way to meet new friends.
2) Book a special interest holiday to ensure you meet likeminded people.
3) Arrange to meet people for a drink before dinner to break the ice.
4) Treat yourself to a treatment in the hotel's beauty salon to make you feel at your best.
5) Use the services of your tour manager to make introductions for you.
6) Don't be afraid to try new experiences and take part in organised activities where you could meet new people
7) Be confident - remember other single travellers will be delighted to see a friendly face.
8) Always sit in a different seat each day when you are on a tour to maximise the number of people you meet.
9) Don't be afraid of the opposite sex! Only five per cent go looking for romance!
10) Organise a reunion for when you return to keep in touch.
For more information on Saga Holidays for single travellers, please call free on 0800 056 5880
Notes to editors:
About Saga Holidays for single travellers
Each break comes with no extra "single supplement" to ensure the customer is paying the lowest possible price for their single room. The holidays are designed to offer a relaxed and sociable atmosphere, and are also accompanied by an experienced singles host or tour manager.
For further press information please contact the Saga Press Office on: 01303 771118.
Share this page
The Saga Group Communications Team only deal with enquiries from the media.
If you're not a journalist, visit our contact us page for a full list of telephone numbers.
Head of Communications, Saga Group Saga Holidayslisa.firstname.lastname@example.org
Senior PR Manager, Insurance and Personal Financeangela.email@example.com
PR Manager, Saga Holidays and Cruisesnaomi.firstname.lastname@example.org