Theft from Gardens rife in March - average theft claim is £378
For more information on the Saga Garden Cover, call 0800 068 8719 or visit
Gardening is the most popular past time for the over 50’s and with the clocks going forward this weekend, more of them will be making the most of the extra hour of daylight and getting out in their gardens to prepare for the summer months. But make sure, if cash is being splashed on shrubs, ornaments or furniture at the local garden centre, the purchases are fully covered when in place back home.
Recent research conducted by Saga Home Insurance has shown that January, March, June and July are the most popular months for pernicious pot pinchers leading to a growth in Garden Insurance claims. The cost of replacing items stolen from gardens can cost on average 378. This is comparable to average damage costs from floods (391) and storm damage (387).
Saga Home Insurance offers a Garden cover add-on for customers for just an extra 30, to cover plants, shrubs, vegetables, turf and lawns, rockeries, tools, equipment and furniture. The policy will also cover damage caused by theft, damage by smoke, fire, vandals and wild animals.
Saga suggests that people carry out a Garden Security Spring clean and do the following-
- Write their postcode, with an ultraviolet waterproof pen, on valuable items such as tools, machinery, BBQ’s
- Check sheds and gates for deterioration over the winter months and make suitable repairs if necessary
- Padlocks, screws and fastenings may have rusted, replace if needed
- Do a garden inventory – you might be surprised at how much your garden items are worth!
- Take photos of valuable items to keep incase they are stolen
- Check your Home Insurance policy to make sure you have adequate cover for your garden items
- ENDS -
Notes for editors -
Garden cover provides up to 1,500 towards replacing your shrubs, trees and hedges and a further 2,000 by extending your cover to your garden contents in the open under your contents policy.
We will also contribute up to 2,500 for professional garden-design fees and expenses incurred to return your garden to its former condition if damaged.
* All data based on 924 Garden Insurance claims from March 2000-Feb 2009.
**Customers can purchase Garden Cover as an add on to Home Contents Insurance for 30 per year.
Saga Home Insurance will be at BBC Gardeners World from the 10th to the 14th June 2009 at the NEC, Birmingham. There will be a free prize draw to win a 7 night cruise, Magic of Norway, on the Saga Ruby.
For further press information please contact the Saga Press Office on: 01303 771529.