OLDER AND WISER? – OVER 50s PREDICT A STOCK MARKET BOOM FOR 2013Friday 28 December 2012
• More than a quarter of over 50s believe the economy will be better in 2013 • Men are optimistic about the stock market, women are pessimistic • Older people are the most optimistic about the future of the economy
OLDER AND WISER? – OVER 50s PREDICT A STOCK MARKET BOOM FOR 2013
Saga Share Direct sought the combined experience of 8,402 over 50s to share their thoughts on how the FTSE 100 index will perform in 2013. The survey shows that 28% believe that the FTSE 100 will be higher in 12 months time, 36% think it will be about the same and 16% think it will be lower - a net positive result of 12%.
However, this average masks sharp differences. Men are much more positive about the future, with a net 22% believing in a 2013 bullish stock mark, whereas women are the bears - with a net 2% predicting a fall in the FTSE 100.
Those still in work are much less positive (net +8%) than those who are retired (net +14%). People between 65 and 74 (net +15%) are twice as likely as those between 50 and 54 (net +7%) to think the FTSE 100 will be trading higher in 12 months time. In fact, 29% of people between 70 and 74 predict that the FTSE will be between 6000 and 6500 while an extremely hopeful 3% believe it will be above 6500.
Differences are sharpest between socio-economic groups - with wealthier ABs showing a net positive score of +18%, whilst those in socio-economic group DE on balance believe the stock market will crash – with a net 6% thinking there will be a fall in the stock market over the coming 12 months.
The most positive regions are the South East, South West and Scotland (each net +15%), while the least positive are North East (net +5%), Wales (net +6%) and the North West (net +8%).
Roger Ramsden, Chief Executive, Saga Services commented: “Whether you’re a man or woman, young or old, living in the South or North; people should make sure their money is working as hard as possible for them. Research is key to making sure your money is in the right place at the right time, whether that’s shopping around for the best saving rates or investing wisely in the stock market.”
Notes to Editors
• * Populus interviewed 8,402 Saga customers, all aged 50 and over, online between 14th and 20th December 2012. Populus is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules.
• The tables below show the Saga Share Direct findings:
|50 - 54||55 - 59||60 - 64||65 - 69||70 - 74||75+|
|FTSE 100 Predictions|
|Yorkshire and Humber||26%||16%||10%|
Saga Share Dealing
A Saga Share Direct account, provided by Barclays Stockbrokers, offers low cost share dealing online or over the telephone, with no annual fees.
• Competitive dealing rates (trade from as little as £9.75 per online trade when you conduct 10 or more trades per quarter or £11.95 if you trade less frequently)
• No annual account management fees
• No fees for inactivity
• Access to a Free Online Research Centre to help you choose your own investments
• Deal in UK shares, gilts, bonds and funds
• Access to more than 2,600 funds with no initial charge.
Share this page
The Saga Group Communications Team only deal with enquiries from the media.
If you're not a journalist, visit our contact us page for a full list of telephone numbers.
Head of Communications, Saga Group Saga Holidayslisa.email@example.com
Senior PR Manager, Insurance and Personal Financeangela.firstname.lastname@example.org
PR Manager, Saga Holidays and Cruisesnaomi.email@example.com