SAGA INTRODUCES CASH BENEFIT FOR CANCER PATIENTS TO PAY FOR PARKINGTuesday 6 November 2012
• 27% of people cite parking charges as their biggest concern when being treated in an NHS hospital* • On average cancer patients spend over £100 on parking when receiving treatment**
SAGA INTRODUCES CASH BENEFIT FOR CANCER PATIENTS TO PAY FOR PARKING
A survey by Saga Health Insurance reveals that the single biggest concern people have about the NHS hospital in which they are treated is the cost of parking the car. Over a quarter (27%) of those surveyed rated parking as a key concern, and astonishingly more people worried about this than cleanliness or the standard of nursing or treatment on offer.
Concern about parking charges was at its highest amongst those over 50 - the biggest users of the NHS, with a third rating this a key worry.
For those needing treatment for cancer, the impact of car parking costs is at its highest, with the average cancer patient paying out over £100 on parking charges whilst undergoing treatment.**
To help cancer patients, Saga Health Insurance has introduced a cash benefit under its Extended Cancer Cover, which will enable them to claim up to £100 of hospital expenses including parking wherever patients receive treatment.***
Roger Ramsden, Chief Executive, Saga Services commented: “Parking charges are a tax on the sick and our research shows the depth of public feeling against them. We have listened to people’s concerns and hope that this new benefit will help ease the burden for those undergoing treatment for cancer.”
Notes to Editors:
*Populus interviewed 2,048 adults online between 11th and 13th May 2012. 960 respondents were over 50, and 488 were retired. Populus is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules.
*** Cancer cover available for policies starting from 16th November 2012
Saga Health Insurance
• Comprehensive range of plans at competitive prices
• Prompt access to private medical treatment
• Access to a wide choice of UK private hospitals
• No upper age limit and no medical required
• For more information please visit www.saga.co.uk/insurance/health-insurance
Extended Cancer Cover
• Is available as an add-on to Saga's Super, Secure, Saver plus and Saver plans for a small additional premium.
• Offers no time limit on the use of drug treatments that are available for cancer.
• Provides additional cover for experimental cancer treatments, as long as they are part of an ethically approved trial.
• Covers treatment to prevent the recurrence of cancer or the maintenance of remission.
• Also includes cover for wigs (£150) and external prostheses following surgical treatment (£5,000)
What were the main concerns regarding the NHS hospital you were treated in within the last 12 months?
|All adults 18+||Over 50s|
|Communications with medical staff||15%||18%|
|Quality of nursing||13%||10%|
|Attitude of staff towards older people||11%||13%|
|Standard of medical treatment on offer||11%||8%|
|Quality of the food||11%||11%|
|Lack of dignity||10%||9%|
Share this page
The Saga Group Communications Team only deal with enquiries from the media.
If you're not a journalist, visit our contact us page for a full list of telephone numbers.
Paul V. Green
Director of Communicationspaul.email@example.com
Head of Communications, Saga Group Saga Holidayslisa.firstname.lastname@example.org
Senior PR Manager, Insurance and Personal Financeangela.email@example.com
PR Manager, Saga Holidays and Cruisesnaomi.firstname.lastname@example.org