Saga Sapphire’s 2013 epic journeys to the sunTuesday 23 October 2012
A cruise for every season - a chance to see the Northern Lights, the Midnight Sun, solar eclipse or soak up some much-needed winter sun
Saga Sapphire’s 2013 epic journeys to the sun
As long as man has existed he has been drawn to the different seasons as the earth revolves around the sun and the phenomena which surround this celestial sphere. As the latest jewel in Saga’s fleet, Saga Sapphire will shine brightly next year as she travels to destinations where the sun and earth come together in an incredible spectacle of nature, or where the warmth of the sun is sure to delight sun worshippers.
- Watch nature’s own theatre unfold above you
Seeing the aurora borealis is a jaw-dropping and mystical moment. This extraordinary voyage to the far reaches of Norway passes through Viking heartland and across the Arctic Circle. Along the way passengers can explore Norway’s picture-perfect scenes of remote villages, majestic glaciers and peaceful fjords. A selection of optional winter activities include dog sledding, snowmobile safari and an overnight stay at the Alta Igloo Hotel, which is made entirely from ice and snow – even the beds!
A few Superior Cabins are still available on this very special trip which departs 12th March 2013, for 16 nights. Prices start from £5,519 per person*
Land of the Midnight Sun
- Head North to the Arctic for the ethereal glow of the night time sun
This unforgettable journey unveils the awe-inspiring landscapes of the Arctic Circle as passengers sail far north to the ‘top of the world’. In Norway gaze upon sparkling fjords, waterfalls, glaciers and mountains then explore the country’s most captivating cities and fishing towns.
A highlight of the trip is the journey along the Arctic ice barrier besides spellbinding glacial scenery to Magdalena Bay, one of the most remote ports in the world. Find blue ice packs towering like icy skyscrapers as you travel as far north as you can without an icebreaker. Passengers and crew will be on the lookout for walrus, Arctic fox, reindeer and bowhead whales.
Cruise departs on the 19th June, for 15 nights, prices start from £2,671 per person*
Africa and the Solar Eclipse
- A journey of epic proportions to 0°latitude and 0°longitude
Join the voyage of a lifetime as the Saga Sapphire navigates the coastlines of Spain and Africa to view a phenomenon which only occurs once every 19 years. This total eclipse will be special as it will cross both the Equator and the Greenwich Meridian at 0°latitude and 0°longitude.
On 3rd November, the Captain will position the ship for passengers to witness a hybrid eclipse of the sun. From this incredible vantage point (weather permitting) guests will observe in awe as the sun shrinks from view, giving a new meaning to “sun-downer” cocktails on deck.
Departing 18th October 2013 for a 28 night voyage, prices start from £4,292 per person*
Canary Island Christmas
- On the shortest day of the year, seek out the sun
As the depths of winter envelopes the UK, Saga Sapphire sets sail for the Canary Islands and North Africa. This winter sun cruise starts in Casablanca with its unique blend of European, African and Arabian influences. An optional overnight excursion to Marrakech is offered to explore its colourful souks and bustling squares. You’ll be at sea on the shortest day; the ideal time to relax on deck and recharge the batteries before reaching Lanzarote and climbing Fire Mountain.
Celebrate Christmas Day with a host of festive activities and a traditional lunch with all the trimmings, as you sail to the island of Tenerife. Highlights during the remainder of the cruise include the lunar landscapes of Mount Teide National Park, a camel ride in Gran Canaria and exploring the Old Town in Santa Cruz, La Palma. Guests will spend New Year’s Eve on the sunny island of Madeira, finishing their day with a spectacular firework display to welcome in the New Year in.
Departing 17th December 2013 for 20 nights, prices start from £2,906 per person*
About Saga Sapphire
Carrying just 706 passengers, the new Saga Sapphire promises an authentic ‘real ship’ experience. She is not a super-liner but a vessel full of character and personality, whose recent re-fit has equipped it to be one of the ocean’s finest cruise ships. Complete with quirky touches and contemporary twists it is the perfect ship for those seeking the sun.
Onboard passengers can dine around the world and have the freedom to mix companions and restaurants. In the Pole to Pole restaurant passengers can enjoy fine dining surrounded by curios and objets d’art from each continent. Meanwhile the intimate East to West restaurant serves Asian fusion dishes and The Grill a more casual bistro-style eatery and alfresco dining for balmy nights.
For more information or to make a booking visit www.sagacruises.co.uk or call 0800 50 50 30
For media enquiries please contact
Carl Catterall on 01303 771118 or at email@example.com
Tanya Hillman on 01825 763636 or at Tanya.firstname.lastname@example.org
• All cruises include return chauffeur service to port, travel insurance, all meals and gratuities on board, port taxes and visas.
• Saga Travel is part of the Saga Group, which is the UK’s leading provider of holidays, products and services specifically designed for people aged 50 and over. With over 2 million customers, Saga provides insurance, financial services and holidays and publishes the monthly Saga Magazine.
• Saga Holidays are available exclusively for people aged 50 and over, with a travelling partner of 40 or over. Single rooms are available at no extra cost on many hotel stays and tours and include welcome drink, porterage of luggage and cancellation cover. If Saga Holidays reduce the price of a holiday once it has been confirmed, the value of the saving will automatically be passed on to customers, which ensures that early bookers never miss out. This is the Saga promise. Saga Holidays also guarantee that the price of a holiday will not be subject to any surcharges, regardless of what may happen to fuel prices or exchange rates.
Share this page
The Saga Group Communications Team only deal with enquiries from the media.
If you're not a journalist, visit our contact us page for a full list of telephone numbers.