MOST POPULAR DAY FOR OVER 50s TO HEAD ABROAD - SATURDAY 8th SEPTEMBERMonday 3 September 2012
• Italy has knocked Spain off top spot to become most popular destination this September • Top destinations to visit this Autumn are Italy, Spain and Greece
MOST POPULAR DAY FOR OVER 50s TO HEAD ABROAD - SATURDAY 8th SEPTEMBER
As children pack their rucksacks with new supplies for the start of the school year, the over 50s will pack their suitcases and get ready to head abroad in September. According to research by Saga Travel Insurance the most popular day to travel will be Saturday 8th September *.
For the past six years evidence from Saga travel insurance shows that the most popular day for over 50s to travel on is the first Saturday in September after children have gone back to school.
Spain has traditionally been the top destination for the over 50s to visit at this time of year. However, Saga’s research shows that this year Italy has proved the most popular, pushing Spain to second place. Could this be down to Gino D’Acampo inspiring the over 50s to find their love for fine food?
Over 50s are tech savvy travellers
The over 50s love for modern technology is helping people save money as well as keeping them entertained on holiday. In the current economic environment nearly a quarter (23%) of people surveyed are now booking their own holidays on the internet without an agent, which could leave them with some extra money to spend whilst on holiday.
In fact, the over 50s have become so confident with modern technology that they are filling their suitcases with various gadgets to see them through their holiday. More than a quarter (28%) pack their laptop, a quarter (24%) carry a smart phone so they can keep in touch with friends and family back home and one in seven (14%) take a kindle to keep them entertained whilst travelling**.
All these gadgets could be bad news for local tour guides as nearly a third (31%) of travellers are relying on ipads, laptops or smart phones to help them learn more about the country they’re visiting.
Roger Ramsden, chief executive, Saga Services, commented “With the weather we’ve seen this summer it’s no wonder the over 50s want to get away to find some sun and sand as the school holidays end. It’s great to see so many people searching for adventure and making the most out of their time away.
“Of course it’s also important that even when on a tight budget people don’t cut corners on travel insurance. Not only do people take expensive gadgets away with them but a simple slip or trip overseas can prove expensive and would take the shine off even the sunniest holidays.”
Notes to Editors
• *Data based on Saga Travel Insurance customers
• ** Saga Populus poll interviewed 10,332 Saga customers, all aged 50+, online between 16th December and 21st December 2011. Populus is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules
Top five destinations the over 50s are visiting this September:
Saga Travel Insurance
Tailored for the over 50s, our wide-ranging cover includes:
• £2,500 of cover for lost or stolen baggage
• Cover for most pre-existing medical conditions
• Up to £5,000 for airspace, airport/port closure due to severe weather or strike in the UK or abroad
• Up to £1,500 if you’re stranded abroad
• Easy to use online medical screening
• 24 hour English-speaking travel assistance helpline for advice before and whilst you are away
• No upper age limit.
• Option to protect family and friends of any age, even if they travel without you Automatic cover for over 40 popular leisure activities, with optional protection for golf, scuba-diving and winter sports.
Share this page
The Saga Group Communications Team only deal with enquiries from the media.
If you're not a journalist, visit our contact us page for a full list of telephone numbers.
Paul V. Green
Director of Communicationspaul.email@example.com
Head of Communications, Saga Group Saga Holidayslisa.firstname.lastname@example.org
Senior PR Manager, Insurance and Personal Financeangela.email@example.com
PR Manager, Saga Holidays and Cruisesnaomi.firstname.lastname@example.org
PR Manager, Saga Insurancemark.email@example.com