SAGA AGREES WITH FCO'S FINDINGSWednesday 13 February 2013
• One in ten over 50s have travelled without insurance • Most common claim for the over 50s is for cancellation • Most expensive claims for the over 50s are for medical expenses
SAGA AGREES WITH FCO'S FINDINGS
Saga Travel Insurance research supports the Foreign & Commonwealth Office findings that the over 50s are risking costly financial penalties by travelling without insurance, as one in ten (10%) have gone on holiday without cover at some point in the last five years*.
The data suggests that travelling abroad without insurance could be a costly mistake. Medical expenses are the most expensive claims and on average cost £2,195. The fact that the over 50s each have an average of 1.67 medical conditions** means it is particularly important that they take out travel insurance to cover any pre-existing conditions that could cause them to fall ill abroad.
However, it’s not just falling ill from a pre existing condition that could turn a holiday sour and break the bank. A stomach bug or ear infection could set uninsured travellers back around £200, while breaking a leg in America could cost as much £45,000***.
The decision not to take insurance cover can be particularly costly the older you are. It is not just about losing luggage or experiencing delayed flights; the Saga research shows the most common claims happen before people leave home. Cancellation accounts for more than two fifths (42%) of all travel claims made by the over 50s and the most common reason is because they fall ill before their departure date****.
Roger Ramsden, chief executive, Saga Services commented: “Not packing travel insurance can be a costly mistake – paying thousands for a cancelled holiday or medical bills is sure to wipe the smile from the most genial of globetrotters faces. So it’s important to make sure everything is covered from the moment you book your holiday.”
Notes to Editors
• *Populus interviewed 2,002 adults online between 30th November - 2nd December 2012. 904 respondents were over 50. Populus is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules.
• **Average medical conditions is based on Saga Travel Insurance customers
• ***The table below demonstrates the cost of some treatments if people travel without travel insurance. First Assist 2011 - costs are based on a treatment in a private facility.
• ****Saga Travel Insurance 2011 claims data for annual and single travel insurance combined.
|USA||2 days in intensive care||£35,000|
|USA||Bronchitis - 7 days in-patient||£45,000|
|Europe||Bronchitis - 7 days in-patient||£10,000|
|Mediterranean||Simple conditions not requiring admission such as
upset stomach, ear infection, infected mosquito bites, sunburn,
|£200 per visit|
|USA||Simple conditions not requiring admission such as upset stomach, ear infection,
infected mosquito bites, sunburn, dehydration etc
|£500 - £700 per visit|
|Proportion of over 50s who have travelled without
insurance in the last five years
(Men 10%, Women 9%)
|Most common claims among the over 50s||Cancellation (42%)|
|Most expensive claims among the over 50s||Medical expenses|
(average claim £2,195)
|Number of medical conditions the average person over 50s has||1.67|
(Men 1.84, Women 1.53)
Saga Travel Insurance
Tailored for the over 50s, our wide-ranging cover includes:
• Up to £10,000,000 for medical expenses
• £2,500 of cover for lost, stolen or damaged baggage
• Cover for most pre-existing medical conditions
• Up to £5,000 for airspace, airport/port closure due to severe weather or strike in the UK or abroad
• Up to £1,500 if you’re stranded abroad
• Easy to use online medical screening
• 24 hour English-speaking travel assistance helpline for advice before and whilst you are away
• No upper age limit
• Please call 0800 015 0757 or visit http://www.saga.co.uk/insurance/travel-insurance for more information
Share this page
The Saga Group Communications Team only deal with enquiries from the media.
If you're not a journalist, visit our contact us page for a full list of telephone numbers.
Head of Communications, Saga Group Saga Holidayslisa.firstname.lastname@example.org
Senior PR Manager, Insurance and Personal Financeangela.email@example.com
PR Manager, Saga Holidays and Cruisesnaomi.firstname.lastname@example.org