MEN OVER 50 FEAR UNINSURED DRIVERS THE MOSTTuesday 9 July 2013
• Men’s biggest fear is being involved in an accident with an uninsured driver • A woman’s biggest fear is driving in snow and icy conditions • One in 14 people have been in an accident with an uninsured driver
MEN OVER 50 FEAR UNINSURED DRIVERS THE MOST
Bickering about who’s the better driver, isn’t the only thing that most men and women disagree on when they get behind the wheel. Research by Saga Car Insurance shows that a quarter of men over 50 say their biggest driving fear is being involved in an accident with an uninsured driver, whilst a woman’s biggest fear is driving in snow*.
Perhaps men fear the financial strain and inconvenience that uninsured drivers can cause, and this might explain why men are three times more likely to fear uninsured drivers than women (men 23% vs women 7%). However, women seem to fear the incident itself rather than the aftermath, which could be why they are twice as likely as men to say they fear driving in snow (women 30% vs men 15%).
With an estimated 1.2 million uninsured drivers** on the road, it is no surprise that they are a real problem for motorists – especially the one in 14 over 50s who have been involved in an accident with one.
Saga Motor Insurance has extended its cover to protect the over 50s against uninsured drivers, ensuring they do not lose their No Claim Discount if they are hit by an uninsured driver, and will refund any excess paid. In addition, Saga has also extended its cover to include road rage and car-jacking***.
Incidents that both men and women fear equally are: having an accident (men 17%, women 16%), driving in fog (men 13%, women 10%) or driving close to big trucks and lorries (men 9%, women 10%).
However, it seems that people are less likely to fear the things that are more likely to happen on the road. While only a few people fear road rage (5%) and vandalism (2%), in reality a fifth of over 50s say they have been the victim of road rage and the same number say they have had their cars vandalised.
Roger Ramsden, chief executive, Saga Services, commented: “The most striking thing this has highlighted is the difference between men and women’s perceptions of dangers on the road. Men’s confidence in their own ability perhaps explains why they mostly fear other drivers, while women appear to be more realistic about their driving skills and fear things that could shake up the most competent driver.”
Notes to Editors
• *Populus interviewed 8,979 Saga customers, all aged 50 and over, online between 15th and 22nd February 2013. Populus is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules.
• **In August 2012, Motor Insurers’ Bureau estimated that there were 1.2 million uninsured drivers on the road
• ***Saga Car Insurance customer’s No Claims Discount is protected if they have an accident with an uninsured driver and the uninsured driver is at fault. The customer has to provide the registration number, make and model of the third party vehicle. Saga’s Car-jacking and Road rage cover will also give customers £500 if they, or their partner, are physically assaulted following an accident involving their vehicle, or as a result of aggravated or attempted theft.
|Driving in snow/icy conditions
|Being hit by an uninsured driver
|Having a car accident
|Driving in foggy conditions
|Driving along side, immediately in front
or immediately behind trucks/lorries
Saga Car Insurance
Saga Car Insurance is designed for driver’s aged 50 and over. With our Comprehensive policy you'll benefit from the following:
• Protection against uninsured drivers
• Up to 70% No Claim Discount
• Vandalism cover
• Road Rage and Car Jacking cover
• £1000 personal belongings cover
• Unlimited audio/visual cover
• Free windscreen/glass repairs
• Any driver cover in a medical emergency
Share this page
The Saga Group Communications Team only deal with enquiries from the media.
If you're not a journalist, visit our contact us page for a full list of telephone numbers.
Paul V. Green
Director of Communicationspaul.firstname.lastname@example.org
Head of Communications, Saga Group Saga Holidayslisa.email@example.com
Senior PR Manager, Insurance and Personal Financeangela.firstname.lastname@example.org
PR Manager, Saga Holidays and Cruisesnaomi.email@example.com
Senior Press Officer, Insurance and Financial Servicessian.firstname.lastname@example.org