OVER 50s MORE LIKELY TO CLAIM ON PET THAN ANY OTHER INSURANCEMonday 8 July 2013
• Seven million over 50s own cats and dogs • Saga estimates that only one in three insure their pet • Over 50s are three times more likely to claim on pet insurance than motor • Average pet insurance claim is almost £650
OVER 50s MORE LIKELY TO CLAIM ON PET THAN ANY OTHER INSURANCE
They chew your shoes, slobber on the furniture and leave nasty surprises in the garden, but more than seven million over 50s can’t live without their cat or dog. However, Saga Pet Insurance estimates that only one in three insure their furry friends*.
Perhaps the reason for this lack of proper cover is because half of over 50s think people are unlikely to claim on their pet insurance. However, data suggests that the over 50s are in fact more likely to claim on their pet insurance than any other type of insurance. Almost one in three Saga pet insurance customers has made a claim, and pet insurance customers are three times more likely to make a claim than motor insurance customers**.
Dogs and cats are prone to recurring complaints, and the most common claims for pets are arthritis, tumours and heart problems. These claims alone make up almost a fifth of all pet insurance claims***.
Animal lovers could be left penniless if their pooch becomes poorly. Research shows that the average pet claim is almost £650****, but some customers have faced bills of £20,000, when their dog has injured someone else*****.
The wisest pet owners are those in East Anglia, as they are the most likely to insure their pets in case of an emergency. However, pet lovers in East Midlands are the most willing to take a risk and leave their pets uninsured.
Roger Ramsden, chief executive, Saga Services, commented: “A sick pet can be the cause of family heartache, and with vets bills soaring by 10% last year, it can also cause a financial headache if pets don’t have the proper cover.”
Notes to Editors
• *TGI shows that 35% of over 50s own a cat or a dog. Populus shows that only 12% have pet insurance (Populus interviewed 8,577 Saga customers, all aged 50 and over, online between 22nd March and 1st April 2013. Populus is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules).
• **Based on claims made by Saga insurance customers
• ***Most common Saga Pet Insurance claims in 2012
• ****Average cost of pet claims – including an excess – made by Saga Pet Insurance customers since 2006
• *****Based on claims made by Saga Pet Insurance customers
Saga Pet Insurance
Saga Pet Insurance is specifically designed for the over 50s and covers:
• Up to £5,000 for unexpected vets bills
• Up to £2million third party liability cover for dogs
• Up to £250 for advertising and reward costs to help reunite you with your pet should it become lost or stolen.
Share this page
The Saga Group Communications Team only deal with enquiries from the media.
If you're not a journalist, visit our contact us page for a full list of telephone numbers.
Paul V. Green
Director of Communicationspaul.firstname.lastname@example.org
Head of Communications, Saga Group Saga Holidayslisa.email@example.com
Senior PR Manager, Insurance and Personal Financeangela.firstname.lastname@example.org
PR Manager, Saga Holidays and Cruisesnaomi.email@example.com
PR Manager, Saga Insurancemark.firstname.lastname@example.org