Research by Saga Travel Insurance shows a quarter of grandparents have been away with their grandchildren in the last three years, and two fifths of those have paid for the entire family holiday*. So it appears that - when thinking of going on holiday in these straightened times – many families say to themselves, don’t forget to “pack a nan”, not only are they great babysitters they may also pick up the tab.
Taking the whole family away is an expensive business, on average people spend around £2000 giving the family a well-needed break in the sun. However, one in 14 over 50s have spent more than £5000 on a luxury holiday for their family, but this might not include travel insurance which families often buy together.
Retired grandparents are using their free time to explore the world with their grandchildren, as they are twice as likely to take them on holiday as grandparents who are still working.
Families in the East Midlands are the most likely to pack the family suitcases and go away together, as almost a third of over 50s have been on holiday with their grandchildren recently. Whilst people in London prefer to just send a postcard and bring their families back a stick of rock (18%).
The flexible approach of Saga Travel Insurance allows over 50s to add children and grandchildren to their travel insurance policy, so the whole family can have peace of mind when they go abroad.
Roger Ramsden, chief executive, Saga Services, commented: “I think it’s fantastic that many generations are choosing to holiday together - there are so many benefits. Everyone gets the chance to relax and the adults can take it in turns going down the water slides with the kids or sloping off for some sangria and adult company. These days, people are so busy that getting everyone together can be almost impossible, so getting the chance to go away together and create memories might be just what every family needs.”
Notes to Editors
• *Populus interviewed 10,253 adults, all aged 50 and over, online between 17th and 23rd May 2013. Populus is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules.
Saga Travel Insurance
Tailored for the over 50s, our wide-ranging cover includes:
• Up to ten people – of any age – can be added to the policy
• Up to £10,000,000 for medical expenses
• £2,500 of cover for lost, stolen or damaged baggage
• Cover for most pre-existing medical conditions
• Up to £5,000 for airspace, airport/port closure due to severe weather or strike in the UK or abroad
• Up to £1,500 if you’re stranded abroad
• Easy to use online medical screening
• 24 hour English-speaking travel assistance helpline for advice before and whilst you are away
• No upper age limit
• Please call 0800 015 0757 or visit http://www.saga.co.uk/insurance/travel-insurance for more information