KIDS GO BACK TO SCHOOL AND GRANDPARENTS FLEE ABROADTuesday 3 September 2013
• September is the most popular time for over 50s to travel • 86% of over 50s choose travel insurance based on product features • A third of people say price is the most important factor when looking for insurance
KIDS GO BACK TO SCHOOL AND GRANDPARENTS FLEE ABROAD
While Britain’s kids head back to school, the over 50s will be packing their suitcases and heading for the airport. Research by Saga Travel Insurance shows that September is the most popular month for over 50s to travel, with Spain, Italy and France* being their favourite holiday destinations – although many travel further afield.
Saga estimates that by the time people reach 50 they have been abroad an average of nine times. Today’s over 50s are savvy travellers when it comes to picking travel insurance, this may be because they’ve had their fingers burnt when they were younger by picking cheap travel insurance that didn’t fully protect them. Now some 86% say they carefully pick their insurance because of what the cover includes – whether that’s pre-existing conditions, cancellation cover or replacing lost or stolen baggage**.
The average over 50 has two pre-existing medical conditions***, which makes it particularly important that they are thorough when choosing a provider, as some providers automatically exclude pre-existing conditions.
While half say that knowing the company is one of the most important factors when buying travel insurance, a third still rank price as the most important factor.
People in Yorkshire and Humber rate the insurance cover as the most important factor, however those in London, the West Midlands and East Anglia are the least likely to look for comprehensive travel insurance.
Roger Ramsden, chief executive, Saga Services, commented: “Packing insurance is as vital as packing a passport. But picking the wrong cover can be worse than having no cover at all as you can be lulled into a false sense of security. No one travels expecting the worst – but that holiday of a lifetime can turn in to a holiday from hell if your insurer leaves you nursing medical bills if you fall ill overseas.”
Saga Travel Insurance has been providing the over 50s with comprehensive cover, for their pre-existing conditions and their belongings for almost 20 years. As Saga is a MoneyWise trusted provider, people will have peace of mind that the over 50s specialist will look after them if they fall ill, lose their belongings or if they are stranded abroad.
Saga offers the following tips for people buying travel insurance:
1. Check what’s included in the cover – if you have pre-existing conditions make sure you disclose them to the insurer and confirm that they are covered. If you have any doubts call the insurer before you buy the policy.2. Buy travel insurance in advance – cancellation is one of the most common claims so make sure your holiday is covered as soon as you book it, just in case you or fellow travellers can’t travel because of an emergency.
3. Trust the company – buying travel insurance from a company you’ve never heard of could be a costly mistake. Make sure you are confident that the company will pay out if you do need to claim.
4. Read the documents – make sure you read your policy documents so you know what you are and what you aren’t covered for.
5. Carry insurance documents – don’t leave your travel insurance documents at home. They can have important phone numbers or information on if you need to make a claim.
Notes to Editors
• *Based on Saga Travel Insurance customers
• **Populus interviewed 8,577 Saga customers, all aged 50 and over, online between 22nd March and 1st April 2013.
Populus is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules.
• ***Average medical conditions is based on Saga Travel Insurance customers
Saga Travel Insurance
Tailored for the over 50s, our wide-ranging cover includes:
• Cover for most pre-existing medical conditions
• Up to ten people – of any age – can be added to the policy
• Up to £10,000,000 for medical expenses
• £2,500 of cover for lost, stolen or damaged baggage
• Cover for most pre-existing medical conditions
• Up to £5,000 for airspace, airport/port closure due to severe weather or strike in the UK or abroad
• Up to £1,500 if you’re stranded abroad
• Easy to use online medical screening
• 24 hour English-speaking travel assistance helpline for advice before and whilst you are away
• No upper age limit
• Please call 0800 015 0757 or visit http://www.saga.co.uk/insurance/travel-insurance for more information
Share this page
The Saga Group Communications Team only deal with enquiries from the media.
If you're not a journalist, visit our contact us page for a full list of telephone numbers.
Paul V. Green
Director of Communicationspaul.firstname.lastname@example.org
Head of Communications, Saga Group Saga Holidayslisa.email@example.com
Senior PR Manager, Insurance and Personal Financeangela.firstname.lastname@example.org
PR Manager, Saga Holidays and Cruisesnaomi.email@example.com
PR Manager, Saga Insurancemark.firstname.lastname@example.org