January is the peak holiday buying month and 8 in ten over 50s say they are planning to go abroad this year. It appears that the over 50s aren’t keen on scrimping on their holiday, as Saga Travel Insurance research shows that almost a quarter (23%) of those planning to go on holiday in 2014 will loosen their belts and spend more cash than they did on their 2013 travels*.
Europe is the favourite destination for 80% of travellers over 50, one in seven plan to cross the pond to America and one in ten say they will visit Asia this year.
Whether it’s a weekend away, a two-week continental stay or a trip of a lifetime that’s in the offing, costs could quickly escalate if a traveller fell ill while away, especially for the two-fifths (38%) of people planning to travel outside of Europe in 2014, as the need for travel insurance becomes even more pressing, as repatriation costs could be more costly.
However, the majority of over 50s planning European travel in 2014 (80%) should also be aware that the oft-used European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) doesn’t cover any private medical healthcare or costs such as mountain rescue in ski resorts, repatriation costs or lost or stolen property.
Would-be holidaymakers heading for sunnier climes would be wise to invest in Saga Travel Insurance as it provides “high cover levels and above-average customer service” according to consumer champion Which? who recently singled out Saga as its Recommended Provider**.
The rating adds to Saga Travel Insurance’s status both as a Moneywise Trusted Provider for 2013 and its 5 Star Rating from independent financial research company Defaqto.
Roger Ramsden, chief executive, Saga Services, commented: “It appears that many over 50s are shaking off the age of austerity by planning a memorable holiday in 2014. That’s good news for them and good news for Britain’s positive spirit.
“However, it’s vital to be properly covered while you’re away, as footing a medical bill of several thousand pounds may give good times the elbow!”
Notes to Editors
• *Populus interviewed 11,138 adults online between 13th November and 21st December 2013. Populus is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules.
Saga Travel Insurance
Tailored for the over 50s, our wide-ranging cover includes:
• Up to £10 million for emergency medical cover
• £2,500 of cover for lost, stolen or damaged baggage
• Cover for most pre-existing medical conditions
• Up to £5,000 for airspace, airport/port closure due to severe weather or strike in the UK or abroad
• Up to £1,500 if you’re stranded abroad
• Easy to use online medical screening
• A 24-hour English-speaking travel assistance helpline for advice before and while you are away
• No upper age limit
• Please call 0800 015 0757 or visit http://www.saga.co.uk/insurance/travel-insurance for more information.