Saga reports less motor claims during snowy weatherThursday 29 January 2015
• Over 50s heed the warnings and do not make unnecessary journeys
Saga reports less motor claims during snowy weather
With more snow starting to fall across the country, Saga’s Paul Green urges people to heed winter driving warnings.
“At Saga we often see less claims during periods of snow as our customer tend to heed the warnings and stay off the road. However if you must go out there are a number of things you can do to make sure you are prepared and we have put together some tips to stop you slip sliding away this winter.”
Our vehicles need a bit of extra TLC at this time of year as we put them through their paces on journeys through wind, rain, sleet and snow. Here we take a look at the precautions you can take to protect your car.
How to prepare your car for winter:
Carry out a few routine checks to ensure your wheels are up to the rigours of winter driving. Spend a bit of time on this now and it could save you the hassle and financial burden of an avoidable breakdown or accident further down the line.
1. Regularly check the oil level, anti-freeze, hazard lights, wiper blades and battery.
2. Check the tyres for tread depth and pressure.
3. Check your carrying all the essentials – including a torch, water, a blanket, a shovel and some snacks in case you get stuck
4. Plan your journey – allow extra time, tune into your local radio for regular traffic and weather reports and advice.
5. Ensure your mobile is fully charged.
6. Drive carefully - Leave more space between you and the car in front, and drive more slowly.
7. In cold or icy conditions, try to avoid braking hard.
8. Dropping gears instead of applying brakes can prevent skidding.
Share this page
The Saga Group Communications Team only deal with enquiries from the media.
If you're not a journalist, visit our contact us page for a full list of telephone numbers.
Head of Communications, Saga Group Saga Holidayslisa.email@example.com
Senior PR Manager, Insurance and Personal Financeangela.firstname.lastname@example.org
PR Manager, Saga Holidays and Cruisesnaomi.email@example.com