Saga donation to the Nepal earthquake appealThursday 7 May 2015
Saga has made a £10,000 donation to the British Red Cross Nepal Earthquake Appeal to help with the immediate need for support and in addition will match the first £15,000 donated to support long-term projects.
Saga donation to the Nepal earthquake appeal
Nepal is a country with which Saga and our customers have had a long association and the local Gurkha community is part of the fabric of Folkestone, where Saga is headquartered.
The Saga Charitable Trust (SCT) has, over a number of years, supported a variety of economic, social and educational projects in Nepal. Many of these will need help in the longer term to get back on their feet. The SCT has already received donations from customers to support our work in Nepal and a just giving page has been set up so staff and others can also donate. The first £15,000 raised will be matched pound for pound.
Paul Green, Saga's director of communications commented: "The earthquake in Nepal has been a human and cultural tragedy. Seeing the devastation on TV is even more shocking when many Saga customers and members of staff recall memories of Kathmandu, the mountain villages and some of the projects the Saga Charitable Trust has supported over the last decade.
"Many of these projects will need help to get back on their feet - which is why in addition to the emergency aid donation of £10,000, Saga will match the first £15,000 raised for Saga Charitable Trust Nepalese projects so we can make a positive difference in the long term."
Donations for Emergency relief can be made via the British Red Cross website for the Saga Charitable Trust Nepalese projects can be made via our just giving page at www.justgiving.com/sagacharitabletrustnepal, or by calling the Trust on 01303 774421.
Notes to editors:
The SCT has provided support for the following projects.
• Tiger Tops - support for a school and clinic on the edge of Chitwan National Park.
• Himaljyoti School and Bhattendanda Community - funding to help build a school and support for a micro credit scheme in the local community.
• Naxal Orphanage – purchase of land.
• Beaver/Shree Biddhatyoti School - school built by Saga customers Mr & Mrs Beaver along with SCT funding.
• Karma Foundation/Samata School - provided musical instruments at Samata School.
• Friendship Clinic - training for a nurse and a midwife at this clinic in Chitwan National Park.
• Deafway - sign language training, extensions to a building and an older persons deaf support programme
Share this page
The Saga Group Communications Team only deal with enquiries from the media.
If you're not a journalist, visit our contact us page for a full list of telephone numbers.
Head of Communications, Saga Group Saga Holidayslisa.email@example.com
Senior PR Manager, Insurance and Personal Financeangela.firstname.lastname@example.org
PR Manager, Saga Holidays and Cruisespressoffice@saga.co.uk