Grandparents to the rescue over school summer holidaysTuesday 16 August 2016
• More than half of grandparents will look after grandchildren over summer • One in eight will look after grandchildren twice a week • One in five grandparents expect to spend over £200 on grandchildren this summer
Grandparents to the rescue over school summer holidays
Grandparents are coming to the rescue over the next few weeks as more than half are planning to look after their grandchildren over the school summer holidays, according to research by Saga Car Insurance*.
The poll of more than 8,000 over 50s shows that one in eight grandparents will look after grandchildren once a week over the school summer holidays, and a further one in eight will be on child minding duties twice a week. However, one in twenty grandparents say they will be hosting their grandchildren three days a week while school is out for the summer.
Those looking after their grandchildren are expecting to spend a pretty penny keeping them entertained as one in five say they will spend well over £200 keeping the children occupied.
In fact, children are in for a treat if Gran and Grandad are looking after them as grandparents are planning to take them on days out to museums, the beach (77%) and on shopping trips (35%). Some grandparents are even taking their grandchildren on a holiday either in the UK (14%) or abroad (5%).
Grandparents in the North East are the most likely to babysit grandchildren over the school summer holidays, while those in the East Midlands are least likely to.
The Scots that are expecting to splash the cash entertaining grandchildren with one in four expecting to spend more than £200 on grandchildren while they’re off school.
Children are often armed with lots of expensive gadgets, such as tablets and mobile phones. While most children will keep these devices with them at all times, especially if they are looking for Pokemon, Saga Car Insurance customers have peace of mind that if children do leave these items in the car they will be insured as Saga offers the over 50s £1000 worth of personal belongings cover. However, if children are leaving gadgets in the car it is important that grandparents remind them to keep them out of sight.
Sue Green, Head of Saga Car Insurance, commented: “It looks as though children are in for an action packed summer which is full of adventure if nan and granddad are in charge over the next couple of weeks. Grandparents really are generous giving up their time and money to help with childcare over the summer holidays and I’m sure they are really looking forward to spending some quality time with their grandchildren.”
Grandparents looking for ideas on entertaining grandchildren over the summer can visit our website for inspiration: http://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/relationships/family/grandparenting
Notes to Editors
* Populus interviewed 8,161 people aged 50 and over online between 19th and 25th July 2016. Results have been weighted to be representative of all GB adults. Populus is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules. For more information visit www.populus.co.uk.
About Saga Car Insurance
• Saga is the leading specialist insurance provider for people aged 50 and over, offering cover tailored to their needs
• Saga is accessible via UK based call centres and there are no automated telephone menus
• Saga Car Insurance is a Which? Recommended provider and also holds a Defaqto 5 star rating
• Saga Car Insurance offers uninsured driver cover, up to £500 get you home cover, £1,000 of personal belongings cover and vandalism cover
• For more information, visit www.saga.co.uk/insurance/car-insurance or call 0800 015 0756
Share this page
The Saga Group Communications Team only deal with enquiries from the media.
If you're not a journalist, visit our contact us page for a full list of telephone numbers.