NEW: Join a celebration of baroque music in historic VallettaMonday 5 September 2016
Saga offers choice of all-inclusive holiday combinations, unforgettable concerts and illustrated talks.
NEW: Join a celebration of baroque music in historic Valletta
Baroque music, sublime performances and glittering venues come together during the International Baroque Festival in Valletta, Malta.
Saga has created this specific tour so that music-lovers can experience a programme of four concerts, plus illustrated talks from expert hosts Peter and Vicky Witham who provide an insight into the composers and music of the era.
The city of Valletta is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and a fine setting for the festival, which celebrates its fifth year in 2017, and visitors can discover cathedrals, churches, palaces and monuments during their stay in St Paul’s Bay.
Saga guests can choose from a musical journey on January 12 or 19, 2017 or book both weeks back-to-back:
January 12, 2017 departure
- Cantatas for the Soul – Various, including works by Bach, performed by the Denedin Consort in Ta Ġieżu Church
- Atys – Baroque opera by Lully – performed by Centre de Musique Baroque de Versailles (parody with puppets) at Teatru Manoel
- The Phoenix Nest – Consort works by English composers including Byrd, performed by Hathor Consort in The Salon (Museum of Archaeology)
- The Rival Queens – including works by Bononcini and Hasse, performed by Vivica Genaux and Simone Kermes with the Basel Chamber Orchestra in Teatru Manoel
January 19, 2017 departure
- A Golden Age – Portuguese and Italian works performed by The Sixteen in St. Paul's Anglican Cathedral.
- La Musica Notturna Nelle Strade Di Madridhe Four Seasons – Boccherini, performed by Accademia Ottoboni
- Alessandro Stradella – The sacred oratorio San Giovanni Battista, by Haymarket Opera Company in St. John's Oratory
- Heaven's Sweetness – Works performed by the European Union Baroque Orchestra in Jesuits Church
Guests stay at The Salini Resort, in St Paul’s, on half board basis during this special interest holiday. Buffet meals are served in the Coastline Restaurant, which has sea views.
For details call free on 0800 300 500 or visit saga.co.uk/malta
Seven nights from £749 (14 nights from £1,498) departing from London Gatwick or Manchester International airports on January 12 and 19, 2017. For seven-night concert week and another week to relax, price £1,029.
Prices include return flights and transfers, accommodation, all breakfasts, lunches on concert days and dinners on free days, four concerts of baroque music and in-house illustrated talks, porterage, tour manager, optional travel insurance and additional cancellation rights, or a discount if passenger has own insurance.
Holiday hosts Peter and Vicky Witham
Peter was a principal violinist with the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra until 2007 when he moved to Cyprus after a career of 50 years. He studied at the Guildhall School of Music and he has performed with most of the great conductors and soloists of his era across the world.
Vicky studied acting, ballet and dance at the Bush Davies School, East Grinstead in East Sussex. She has danced with the Royal Ballet and has many television and radio appearances to her credit.
Share this page
The Saga Group Communications Team only deal with enquiries from the media.
If you're not a journalist, visit our contact us page for a full list of telephone numbers.
Head of Communications, Saga Group Saga Holidayslisa.email@example.com
Senior PR Manager, Insurance and Personal Financeangela.firstname.lastname@example.org
PR Manager, Saga Holidays and Cruisesnaomi.email@example.com