Holiday home insurance

Saga Holiday Home Insurance is designed to give homeowners, aged 50 and over, the peace of mind they need when owning a property abroad.

Our wide-ranging cover includes:


  • UK based claims service
  • Option to insure contents, buildings or both
  • Overseas insurance taxes and payment to the relevant government department.

Quote IT601 when talking to one of our UK based advisers.

Holiday Home Icon


We can offer buildings and contents cover for your overseas holiday home. For more details about Saga Holiday Home Insurance, please use the links below...

Frequently asked questions

Can Saga Insurance arrange immediate cover?

Yes. Call us on 0800 083 6648 to speak to one of our UK based advisers.

Does your holiday home insurance cover properties in the UK as well as overseas?

No, we only insure overseas properties.

Do I need to specify any valuables?

We would recommend that you check your main household policy to see if it covers items outside of your permanent residence. If you keep any items permanently in your holiday home and they exceed the single article limit of £3,000 then you will need to specify them on the policy schedule.

Do I have accidental damage cover?

Accidental damage cover is available to the policyholder and family members for both buildings and contents.

What if my property is left unoccupied for long periods of time?

Make sure you check the insurance: the holiday home policy does allow for some unoccupancy subject to terms.

How much do I have to pay in the event of a claim?

Our policies state that you need to pay the first £100 of any claim, apart from escape of water where you need to pay the first £200 of any claim. If you have arranged a different excess fee with us, you will need to pay that amount.

Does the policy include liability cover?

Up to £5 million of protection for both property and public liability is included in your holiday home insurance policy.

Is fire and theft included in my holiday home insurance policy?

Yes, this is one of the risks which your policy covers as standard.

Will my garden furniture and BBQ set be covered against theft and damage?

Yes, if you insure your contents with Saga Holiday Home Insurance, we will ensure that these are covered as standard up to £750. For more details refer to the policy wording.

What do I do if I need to cancel my cover?

You are entitled to a full refund of the premium paid if you find the policy unsuitable for your needs and cancel it within 14 days of receipt of your policy documents (as long as no claims have been made). If you need to cancel cover after that time, please call us or notify us in writing with the reason for cancellation and state the date from which you need cover to cease.

What if I don't speak the local language and there is a problem with my overseas holiday property?

Saga offers a free translation service - Saga Overseas Assist. It gives you, or anybody renting your property, free 24-hour access to an interpreting service and a domestic helpline to help in an emergency.

Does the policy include cover for heave, subsidence and landslip?

Cover can be provided, on request and subject to a compulsary excess of £1,000 for homes situated in mainland France, Spain and / or Portugal. Unfortunately we can't currently insure against this in other countries.