The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO), previously known as the Foreign & Commonwealth Office or FCO, supports British citizens overseas and provides up-to-date travel information on countries worldwide, letting travellers make informed decisions about their safety. If the FCDO advises against travel to a particular country, or recommends you leave immediately, costs would be covered by your tour operator or travel insurance, provided the advice was issued after you took out a policy or booked the trip, whichever was later.

Please note: any changes in travel advice related to coronavirus are not covered by your Saga Travel Insurance policy.

Independently booked breaks

If you’ve booked your holiday independently, i.e. not through a bonded tour operator, and you are abroad when the FCDO, World Health Organisation (WHO) or a similar body officially recommends leaving that country immediately for a reason other than coronavirus, Saga provides cover under the Abandonment section of your policy*.

If you’re due to visit a country where the FCDO advises against all but essential travel for a reason unrelated to coronavirus, Saga will provide cover under your policy’s Cancellation section*. This cover is only provided if the FCDO advice is issued after you took out a policy or booked the trip, whichever is later.

This means up to £10,000 cover for any irrecoverable, unused pre-paid accommodation, car hire, excursions, parking or other pre-paid costs as well as any additional travel or accommodation expenses you incur after abandonment. To make a claim you need proof of pre-paid costs when you can’t obtain a refund, as well as receipts for additional accommodation and travel costs.

Holidays booked through a tour operator

If you’ve booked a holiday through a bonded tour operator and are due to travel to, or are already in, a country to which the FCDO now advises against travel, contact your tour operator directly to make alternative arrangements. As this cost is recoverable you will need to approach your tour operator for refunds rather than claim from your travel insurance.

*Coronavirus (COVID-19)

For claims relating to coronavirus, Saga Travel Insurance policies only include cover for cancellation or abandonment if you, a close relative or anyone you are planning to travel with or stay with receives in writing a positive test result for COVID-19 within 14 days of your trip commencing. We also offer emergency medical and repatriation cover if you contract COVID-19 while on your trip. Any other claims relating to coronavirus (COVID-19) are not covered. Find out more about the cover we're offering.

If you're an existing customer, you can find out more about what we cover in the Policy Book.


  • If you choose to travel to a country where the FCDO has advised against all travel, your Saga Travel Insurance policy will not be valid for this trip.
  • If you travel to a country where the FCDO has advised against all but essential travel, for a non-essential reason, you'll have no cover in place for any policy section if the reason for your claim is related to why the FCDO advice is in place.
  • If you travel for essential reasons, see our list of what is deemed essential, then you will have full policy coverage in place.
  • Check the current foreign travel advice here.

Useful links

Get a travel insurance quote

Find out more about our holiday insurance

Single trip travel insurance

Annual multi-trip travel insurance

Share this page