1. Place the flour, salt and eggs in a large bowl with half the milk. Whisk until the mixture is lump free. Add the remaining milk and whisk again until smooth. If you prefer, place all the ingredients together in a food processor and blend until smooth. Pour the batter into a jug. The batter can be made in advance and chilled for up to 8 hours before use.
2. Heat a 20cm/8in diameter non-stick frying pan until hot, drizzle a little oil over the centre and wipe it around with a piece of kitchen paper. Pour a little of the batter into the pan and immediately tilt the pan to spread the batter thinly and evenly over the base. Cook for 2 minutes or until the top is set and the base is golden. Turn the pancake over with a spatula, or if you are feeling brave, flip the pancake!
3. Cook for a further 1-2 minutes or until the other side is golden. Transfer to a plate and interleave with greaseproof paper, and keep warm in the oven. Use the batter and a little more oil to make further 7-9 pancakes in the same way (depending upon thickness).
4. Dice unpeeled butternut squash and sauté in olive oil until golden. Add vegetable stock, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until tender.
5. Remove from the heat, drain off the liquid. Stir in roughly chopped watercress and 25g crumbled Stilton cheese. Season to taste.
6. Preheat the oven to 200C/Fan 180C/Gas Mark 6. Divide the mixture between 4 pancakes and place on an oiled baking sheet. Scatter over the remaining crumbled Stilton and bake for 15 minutes or until crisp and golden. Serve hot.
Nutrition (per portion): 230 Calories; 11.7g protein; 10.1g fat; 4.4g saturated fat; 24.7g carbohydrate; 0.6g salt
Our thanks to British Lion for providing this recipe.
Try one of our other delicious savoury pancake recipes, including Mexican stack pancakes and garlic mushroom and brie pancakes. Alternatively, visit our pancake recipe section for a huge range of toppings both sweet and savoury.