This is Saga’s second year in partnership with The Silver Line, the UK’s only free and confidential 24-hour helpline for vulnerable and isolated older people. You have always wholeheartedly supported our charity appeals and we’re sure you will again this year – especially as there’s the chance to win a fantastic cruise for two, to the Christmas markets at Hamburg and Bremen on board Saga Pearl II.
The demand for The Silver Line service is growing all the time: December 2017 was its busiest month ever. The helpline received 47,318 calls – up 10% on the same month the previous year. It also gets more calls in summer, when family and friends are on holiday. Some callers have not spoken to anyone for days or even weeks.
Sophie Andrews, Chief Executive says: ‘At The Silver Line we provide reassurance and support 24/7. We are there when people feel desperate and also on lighter days when they want to reminisce and laugh.’
The Silver Line was founded by Dame Esther Rantzen in 2013 and offers information, advice and links callers to local services – plus the chance of regular friendship through a weekly conversation with a Silver Line Friend. But all this comes at a price. Each call to the helpline costs The Silver Line £5; with your support, we can help this valuable and much-needed service to continue.
Donate £10 and we’ll enter you into the prize draw to win a six-night cruise for two on board the Saga Pearl II, worth more than £2,300, kindly donated by Saga Cruises Ltd.
Want to give more than £10? That’s fine! For each multiple of £10 we’ll enter you again. So a donation of £50 means you’ll have five entries into the draw and at the same time help to brighten the lives of 10 older people.
Please see the May 2018 issue of Saga Magazine for the prize draw entry form if you wish to donate money with a cheque. Alternatively, if you wish to donate and enter by credit or debit card then please call 0800 092 3115.
Prize draw terms and conditions
- The prize draw is open to UK residents aged 50 years or over, except employees of the Promoter, their families, agents or any third party directly associated with administration of the prize draw.
- Upon making a donation of £10 to the Saga Charitable Trust (who will hold all donations on trust for The Silver Line), you will be eligible to enter into the prize draw.
- All entries must be submitted by post to Saga Charitable Trust, Enbrook Park, Folkestone CT20 3SE or made by telephone to 0800 092 3115. Multiple entries are permitted, with one entry available for every £10 donated up to a maximum of 2,000 entries in total. Any entry made after the maximum amount of entries has been achieved will not be counted, and all donations in relation to those entries will be returned to the donor.
- The opening date for entries is 0900 on Monday 23rd April 2018. The closing date of the prize draw is 1700 on Tuesday 31st July 2018.Entries received after this time will not be counted.
- If for any reason a technical interruption or fault occurs when donating over the telephone, the Promoter does not take any responsibility for incomplete donations and any incomplete donations will not be considered valid for entry into the prize draw. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any donations which are not completed for any reason.
- The winner will be chosen by random draw performed by an automated computer process on Wednesday 1st August 2018 ("Draw Date").
- The winner will receive a cruise for two people sharing a cabin on-board the Saga Pearl II during its ‘Festive Hamburg’ cruise.The cruise departs from Portsmouth on 4th December 2018 calling at Bremerhaven (for Bremen) and Hamburg before returning to Portsmouth.You will have the opportunity to embrace the festive season and explore the Christmas markets or Bremen and Hamburg whilst travelling in luxury.The cruise includes all on-board meals and snacks, daily afternoon tea, a choice of wines at lunch and dinner, 24 hour room service, unlimited tea, coffee and fruit juices in selected venues, all on-board tips and bar service charges, complimentary Wi-Fi and porterage of luggage at the port.Winners are responsible for making their own transport arrangements to and from Portsmouth, and it is the winners responsibility to ensure their passports are valid and in-date for the full duration of the cruise.Age qualification: Saga holidays are for anyone aged 50 and over.A travelling companion or family member travelling with you may be aged 40 or over.
- The winners will be contacted by the Saga Charitable Trust by telephone or email (using details provided at entry) before Friday 17th August 2018 and must provide a postal address to claim their prize. If a winner does not respond to the Promoter within 14 days of being notified by the Promoter, then the winner's prize will be forfeited and the Promoter will be entitled to select another winner in accordance with the process described above.
- The winner will be contacted by Saga Cruises Ltd who will make all of the travel arrangements and issue the winner with the travel documentation.
- The prize is non-exchangeable, non-transferable and no cash alternative is offered.
- The prize is supplied by Saga Cruises Ltd, The Saga Building, Enbrook Park, Folkestone, Kent CT20 3SE (the “Supplier”). The Promoter reserves the right to replace the prize with an alternative prize of equal or higher value if circumstances beyond the Promoter's control make it necessary to do so.
- The decision of the Promoter regarding any aspect of the prize draw is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into about it.
- The winner's name and county can be obtained by sending a stamped addressed envelope to Sarah Jenner, Saga Charitable Trust, Enbrook Park, Folkestone CT20 3SE within 14 days after Draw Date.
- Participants are deemed to have accepted and agreed to be bound by these terms and conditions upon entry. The Promoter reserves the right to refuse entry, or refuse to award the prize to anyone in breach of these terms and conditions.
- The Promoter reserves the right to hold void, cancel, suspend, or amend the promotion where it becomes necessary to do so.
- Insofar as is permitted by law, the Promoter, its agents or distributors will not in any circumstances be responsible or liable to compensate the winner or accept any liability for any loss, damage, personal injury or death occurring as a result of taking up the prize except where it is caused by the negligence of the Promoter, its agents or distributors or that of their employees. Your statutory rights are not affected.
- Winners may be required to participate in publicity related to the prize draw which may include the publication of their name and photograph in any media.
- Personal data supplied during the course of this promotion may be passed on to third party suppliers only insofar as required for fulfilment/delivery/arrangement of the prize.
- The prize draw will be governed by English law and entrants to the prize draw submit to the jurisdiction of the English courts.
- The Promoter of this prize draw is the Saga Charitable Trust, Enbrook Park, Folkestone CT20 3SE, for and on behalf of The Silver Line, Trade Tower, Calico Row, London SW11 3YH.
The opinions expressed are those of the author and are not held by Saga unless specifically stated.
The material is for general information only and does not constitute investment, tax, legal, medical or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation.