1. Find your own style and stick with it. I love the boyfriend silhouette. Tailored jackets teamed with skinny jeans and my brogues, of course.
2. Never wear too short a skirt: I think a longer length to just below the knee is more flattering.
3. The backs of your hands can give your age away. I always moisturise and treat myself to a manicure every couple of weeks. Nicely manicured hands are an asset, so it’s worth treating yourself to a manicure regularly.
4. Moisturise morning and night. I’ve moisturised intensely and have done since I was 11 years old.
5. Invest in one instant wardrobe update each season, such as my M&S Twiggy collection blue trench, which is perfect to wear over everything and lightweight for the British summer.
6. Don’t be afraid to wear colour, even if you just opt for a pair of bright shoes or an accessory.
7. The only colour I can’t wear is yellow. It just doesn’t suit my pale complexion and hair colour.
8. I love black. All these magazine features that say you can’t wear this and you must wear that after a certain age are rubbish!
9. Wear shoes that you are comfortable in. I wear brogues with everything and have been collecting them since I was 18. I must have 40-50 pairs from my travels all over the world – and hundreds of pairs of shoes and boots.
10. I am a great believer in recycling old outfits. I have lots of pieces that I have had for well over 20 years. One favourite is a gorgeous Forties tailored jacket. I love mixing vintage with high street for a more individual look.
As told to Gilly Turney.
The opinions expressed are those of the author and are not held by Saga unless specifically stated.
The material is for general information only and does not constitute investment, tax, legal, medical or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation.