At home with John Sergeant
14 August 2020
Reviewed: 28 August 2020
A veteran political broadcaster for the BBC and ITV, a much-loved Strictly contestant back in 2008 and now a Saga vlogger, John Sergeant is a welcome addition to the Not Going Out Club. Discover his latest musings on life and lockdown here.
Ahoy there! Direct from the deck of his holiday yacht, John brings us vivid tales of Cornish smugglers, pirates and the exile of Napoleon. He’s in Helford River, a stunning location featured in Daphne Du Maurier’s Frenchman’s Creek.
Maritime poems and sagas of the sea embellish this week’s diary, as John looks forward to his upcoming yachting holiday in Cornwall. You’ll love his plush new sailing cap! Have a fantastic holiday, John.
Once again, John’s here to tickle your funny bone, nourish your intellect and soothe your worries away. Each week these few short minutes make us all feel so much better.
"We have nothing to fear but fear itself," said Franklin D. Roosevelt. With this in mind, you’ll be fascinated by John’s dramatic tales of life as a young reporter.
"I am not a fantasy-loving teenager longing to possess mysterious superpowers," says John. Clearly preferring Dan Dare to today’s Netflix heroes, John does have one amazing ability: the power to charm and entertain us!
How can you tell when a politician is confused? When they’re talking about the coronavirus. So begins John’s latest diary for the #notgoingoutclub. Watch this and you’ll no longer be in a state of WDIAM. John will explain!
Episode archive – click the links below to watch
- Episode 11 – as lockdown eases, John reflects on his experiences as a travel journalist
- Episode 10 – the lessons of time – predicting the future based on the past
- Episode 9 – the New Normal – how are we meant to behave as we emerge from hibernation?
- Episode 8 – stories to tell – a chance encounter with Winston Churchill
- Episode 7 – how does communication determine what we think and do?
- Episode 6 – from blue tits in the garden to the leader of the free world
- Episode 5 – language – inadequate and reductive or a crucial weapon?
- Episode 4 – recollections of a young Boris Johnson
- Episode 3 – the gift of talking to strangers
- Episode 2 – the impact of social distancing on Ealing
- Episode 1 – staying at home – a strange kind of heroism
The opinions expressed are those of the author and are not held by Saga unless specifically stated. The material is for general information only and does not constitute investment, tax, legal, medical or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation.