JUBILEE PARTYGOERS ADVISED TO MAKE SURE THEY’RE COVEREDMonday 28 May 2012
• 2.4m over 50s to take part in street parties to mark the Jubilee • Saga Home Insurance offers tips to help avoid a Jubilee disaster • Saga highlights how home contents have changed since 1952
JUBILEE PARTYGOERS ADVISED TO MAKE SURE THEY’RE COVERED
The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee, the Olympics and the extra Bank Holiday are the perfect excuse for celebrations with family, friends and neighbours. According to Saga Home Insurance some 2.4 million over 50s will be taking part in street parties to mark the Jubilee*.
In addition to street parties there will also be plenty of ‘at home’ gatherings ranging from a few friends and a barbecue to a marquee and outside caterers. Increasingly popular are ‘Street Meets’ where neighbours get together in a cul de sac, across driveways and gardens. While most household insurance policies cover chairs, tables, umbrellas and barbecues on people’s own property, they might find they’re not covered if they’ve taken everything on to the street or pavement.
Roger Ramsden, Chief Executive, Saga Services commented: “All parties have an element of risk that starts with wondering if anyone will turn up! Whatever people are planning, it’s worth considering potential problems to avoid any damage, injuries or upsets.”
Saga’s advice for a trouble free celebration
• Move anything precious beyond the reach of inquisitive toddlers or over exuberant adults, and use common sense to avoid accidents; glass and bottles straight into a recycling bin, barbecues safely away from fences and sheds, and any fireworks used safely.
• If you’ve got a pond or pool, make sure that no one can fall in by accident - use a temporary cover and make sure that any outdoor hazards are well lit. Strategically placed tables and chairs can deter people from treading on precious plants or damaging garden ornaments. Some insurers offer specific garden cover, so always check your policy provides the cover you need.
• If you’re employing outside caterers, or other external suppliers, check that they have got proper public liability insurance. If you’re hiring equipment such as a bouncy castle, lighting, sound equipment or staging, again check who’s liable for any damage or accidents.
Saga research also highlights the dramatic change in a typical household’s contents over the last 60 years.
Ownership of consumer durables
face to face, by post or telegram
11% of households had a telephone
87% of households have a phone
80% of households have a mobile phone
77% of households have a home computer
73% of households have an internet connection
46% of over 55s have broadband access
20% of over 50s use social networks daily
14% of households had a television
Over 50s more likely to buy sheet music to play themselves
97% of homes have a television
83% of households have a cd player
88% of homes have a satelite receiver
3 in 10 over 65s have Sky TV
2% of over 50s own an MP3 player
|Convenience||3% of households had a washing machine|
79% of households have a washing machine
92% of households have a microwave
57% of households have a tumble dryer
40% of households have a dishwasher
Roger Ramsden concluded: “There’s no doubt 2012 will be a year to remember – but make sure it’s for the right reasons. And, don’t forget that while people are out partying, burglars will be looking for any possible opportunity to spoil the fun so people should make sure their homes and gardens are secure – even if they’re only popping up the road.”
Notes to editors:
*Research conducted by the SagaPopulus panel amongst 8035 over 50s between 11th-15th May 2012.
1 Source – Saga Diamond report, compiled on behalf of Saga by Your Future Ltd
2 Source – ONS Consumer Durables Ownership 2010
3Source: TAM, JICTAR, BARB 2011
4 Source DEFRA Market transformation programme 2012
About Saga Home Insurance
• Saga Home Insurance is designed for the over 50s and provides:
• Up to a 25% discount when people buy a combined buildings and contents policy online **
• Up to £500,000 buildings and up to £50,000 contents cover as standard
• Higher levels of cover available through the Saga Home Insurance TailorMade policy
• New for old replacement of contents
• Full protection when
• home is unoccupied for up to 60 days in a row.
** 70% of people taking buildings and contents cover would have received an introductory, combined and online discount of at least 25%. Saga survey of new business January 2012.
Share this page
The Saga Group Communications Team only deal with enquiries from the media.
If you're not a journalist, visit our contact us page for a full list of telephone numbers.
Head of Communications, Saga Group Saga Holidayslisa.email@example.com
Senior PR Manager, Insurance and Personal Financeangela.firstname.lastname@example.org
PR Manager, Saga Holidays and Cruisespressoffice@saga.co.uk