Saga Master, Captain Philip Rentell is awarded Merchant Navy medal for Meritorious ServiceMonday 19 September 2016
Saga Cruises is pleased to announce that Captain Philip Rentell is one of the recipients in the first year of the Merchant Navy medals receiving an award for services to the Merchant Navy.
Saga Master, Captain Philip Rentell is awarded Merchant Navy medal for Meritorious Service
This new award celebrates those who are serving or have served in the Merchant Navy for exemplary service and devotion to duty, rewarding those who have set an outstanding example to others.
Captain Philip Rentell said:
“Naturally I feel very honoured to be one of only thirteen chosen this year to be given the new award. Anything that raises the profile of the Merchant Navy in the eyes of the general public, and potential future young officers in particular, must be considered very worthwhile for our very special profession.”
Minister for Shipping, Rt. Hon. John Hayes MP said:
“I am delighted to announce the deserving recipients of this award. Merchant Navy seafarers and those serving in the fishing fleets provide a tremendous service to our island nation and it is only right that they are recognised for the vital role they play, often in difficult and dangerous conditions.
“Coinciding with Merchant Navy Day, it provides an opportunity to remember the sacrifices of our brave seafarers of the past and to show our appreciation for British shipping today and in the future.”
Captain Rentell will attend a formal presentation later in the year.
Recipients of the medal in this first year have received the award for a range of meritorious service including:• providing operational achievement through leadership, management and sensitivity in a migrant rescue in the Mediterranean in 2015
• dedication to seafarer training and removing barriers for those entering the industry
• devotion to welfare work and fundraising support to maritime charities and young seafarers
2016 recipients of the Merchant Navy Medal for Meritorious Service
• Captain RH Barker, for services to the Merchant Navy
• Mr LAJ Dalrymple, for services to the welfare of seafarers
• Captain S Harrison, for services to the shipping and ports industries
• Captain NJ Jeffery, for services to the promotion of Merchant Navy careers
• Mr GT Jones, for services to the Merchant Navy and the Royal National Lifeboat Institution
• Mr RJ Jones, for services to the welfare of seafarers
• Captain PJ McArthur, for services to the Merchant Navy
• Captain DS McCallum, for services to the Merchant Navy
• Captain N McIntyre, for services in the rescue of refugees
• Mr MF Morgan, for services to the Merchant Navy and the Royal National Lifeboat Institution
• Captain PD Peters, for services to the welfare of seafarers
• Captain P Rentell, for services to the Merchant Navy
• Captain R Towner, for services to seafarer certification and training
Saga is a leading provider of products and services primarily tailored for customers over the age of 50 in the UK. The Saga brand has been carefully developed over the past 60 years to become one of the most recognised and trusted brands among UK consumers aged over 50. Saga is synonymous in the UK with the over 50s market and is recognised for its high quality products and services. These include cruises and holidays, home and motor insurance, savings and share dealing and the UK’s award winning Saga Magazine.
Share this page
The Saga Group Communications Team only deal with enquiries from the media.
If you're not a journalist, visit our contact us page for a full list of telephone numbers.
Head of Communications, Saga Group Saga Holidayslisa.email@example.com
Senior PR Manager, Insurance and Personal Financeangela.firstname.lastname@example.org
PR Manager, Saga Holidays and Cruisespressoffice@saga.co.uk