Apricot and macadamia nut biscotti from 'Gifts From Your Kitchen' by Deborah Nicholas
- 135g granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 245g plain flour
- 60g macadamia nuts, shelled and chopped
- 75g dried apricots, chopped into small pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4 and line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
2. In a bowl, beat the sugar and eggs on a high speed until thick, pale and fluffy (about 5 minutes). When you raise the beaters from the mixture, the egg mix will fall slowly down in ribbons. At this point, beat in the vanilla extract.
3. In a separate bowl, add the baking powder, salt and flour.
4. Add to the egg mixture and mix until fully combined.
5. Fold in the macadamia nuts and apricots.
6. Empty the mix onto your prepared baking sheet and, with wet hands, mould into a 30 x 10cm rectangle.
7. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack for 10 minutes or until cool enough to cut.
9. Cut 2cm wide slices on the diagonal and place back on a tray (cut-side down) in the oven for a further 10 minutes. Turn them over after 10 minutes to brown the other side.
10. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
11. Store for up to 14 days in an airtight container or wrap in greaseproof paper or baking parchment.
Giving as a gift
Dip the ends of the biscotti in chocolate and allow to set. Place 3 pieces of the dipped biscotti into a pretty coffee cup and wrap the entire present in cellophane. Fasten with curling ribbons and a pretty handmade tag.
Gifts From Your Kitchen
Gifts From Your Kitchen is a beautifully illustrated guide to making a variety of gifts and to packaging them attractively, too. From fudge to face masks, biscuits to body scrub, mother of five Deborah Nicholas shows you how - from a few raw ingredients and blank sheets of paper - you can cut your budget for presents in half, and still leave your recipients feeling more spoilt and appreciated than ever. Learn how to make biscuits, cakes, sweets, herbal teas, fragrant gifts, pickles and preserves, flavoured syrups and cordials - and how to present them in cupcake boxes, gift bags, mini storage drawers, pillow boxes, decorative jars and much more. Published by How To Books, priced £14.99. Buy this book at a discount from Saga Bookshop.