Ingredients Quiche Lorraine from 'Mary Berry's Cookery Course'
For the pastry
- 175g (6oz) unsmoked streaky bacon rashers, rinds removed, cut into strips
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 125g (41⁄2oz) Gruyère cheese, grated
- 2 large eggs
- 250ml (9fl oz) single cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 175g (6oz) plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 85g (3oz) hard block margarine or chilled butter, cut into cubes
Nutritional values per serving
Saturated fat: 13g
Unsaturated fat: 12.5g
How to make quiche lorraine
1. First make the pastry: tip the flour into a large mixing bowl. Add the margarine or butter and rub in gently with the fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs (see p272). Add 3 tablespoons cold water until the pastry comes together in a ball.
2. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and use it to line a 20cm (8in) loose-bottomed flan tin (see pp254–55). Ideally, use a fluted tin.
3. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 220°C (fan 200°C/425°F/Gas 7). Blind bake the pastry case.
4. Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C (fan 160°C/350°F/Gas 4). Crisp the bacon in a sauté pan over a medium heat for 10 minutes, as described below. Transfer to the cooled pastry case with a slotted spoon. Leave the juices in the pan.
5. Place the onion in the pan and cook over a medium heat for 8 minutes, or until golden. Add to the quiche and top with the cheese.
6. In a bowl, combine the eggs, cream, salt, and pepper, then pour into the quiche. Bake for 25–30 minutes until golden and just set. Be careful not to overcook the quiche, or the filling will become tough and full of holes.
How to fry bacon the healthier way
1. Remove the rinds. Stack the bacon rashers on a chopping board and cut them crossways into 5mm (1⁄4in) strips.
2. Place the bacon into a frying pan (without oil or butter) and fry, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned.
3. Remove the bacon using a slotted spoon. Drain on kitchen paper to absorb excess fat. Leave the juices in the pan.
Recipe from Mary Berry's Cookery Course, published by DK, £25, www.dk.co.uk.
Order from the Saga Bookshop and you'll receive a 20% discount AND free delivery when you spend over £15. Simply call FREEPHONE 0800 904 7216 (lines are open Mon-Fri 9am-5pm).