Spicy carrot soup
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- 1 red chillli, deseeded and finely chopped or a pinch of chilli flakes
- 5cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped, or a generous pinch of powdered ginger
- 750g carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 900ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 150ml orange juice
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Fresh chives to garnish, optional
- Heat the oil in large, non-stick saucepan, add the onion and cook over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, chilli, carrots and continue to cook for a further five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the stock, orange juice and seasoning to taste, bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the carrots are soft.
- Transfer the soup to a food processor, liquidiser or use a stick blender and puree until smooth.
- Return to the pan and reheat gently. Ladle the soup into serving bowls and garnish with finely chopped chives.
Our thanks to LearnDirect for permission to use this recipe.