Frequently Asked Questions

Need help? If you have a question about Saga Car Insurance, you may find the answer in our Frequently asked questions section. We've made a list of all the questions that we are asked most often, and provided helpful answers as follows:

How do I amend or retrieve a saved quote?

To retrieve a saved quote click here and follow the instructions to log into your MySaga account. Alternatively you can contact us on 0800 015 0756.

How do I amend my policy?

It is most important that you tell us immediately of any changes that occur since the insurance started or since the last renewal date. If you do not it is possible that a claim will not be covered. If you are in any doubt whether a change needs to be advised, please contact Customer Services on 0800 056 9173.

When will I receive my quote/policy documents?

You should receive them within three to six working days, they can also be retrieved online on MySaga, click here to log into your account.

I have lost my Policy Booklets, can I view them online?

Click here to view and print all recent policy booklets.

How do I add another driver or temporary driver onto my policy?

To add another driver or temporary driver please contact Customer Services on 0800 056 9173.

Do I have to pay an administration fee when making a change to my policy?

If you make a change to your policy you will have to pay an administration fee of £25.

Can I insure someone who only has a provisional licence?

Depending on the information provided we may be able to insure a driver who holds a provisional driving licence.

Can I drive any other cars?

If available, and shown on your Certificate, the policyholder may drive, with the consent of the owner, a motor car not owned by and not hired under a hire purchase or self-drive hire agreement to the policyholder.

I am thinking of making a claim, what should I do?

For details on how to make a claim please click here call the relevant number in your Policy Booklet or Schedule.

What do you class as commuting?

Commuting is required if you are driving yourself or another person during any part of your journey to work - i.e. if you drive to the station and then take the train to work, you need to have commuting on your policy. Commuting cover is unavailable for named drivers.

When do I need a Green Card?

You do not need a Green Card if you are driving in the European Union. If you are thinking of visiting a country outside of the European Union, please call us on 0800 056 9173 and one of our customer service advisers will be happy to answer any queries you may have.

Please click here for a list of countries that we automatically provide cover for driving in.

What is No Claim Discount (NCD)?

No Claim Discount (NCD) is an earned discount that is applied for every year that a driver has insurance on a car without making a claim.

Can I protect my NCD?

If you have earned a No Claim Discount, the last thing you want is to suddenly lose it because of a claim. Depending on your claim history, you may be able to choose our No Claim Discount Protection option, which gives you the reassurance of knowing you can make, or have made against you, up to two claims in any five year period without your NCD being reduced.

What documents would I have to submit as proof of my NCD?

We may ask you to provide proof of your No Claim Discount entitlement. Originals or photocopies are acceptable in the following forms:

  • Previous insurer’s Renewal Notice; or
  • No Claim Discount letter or card.
  • Broker's proof

Do my years spent driving a company car count towards NCD?

If you have had the sole personal use of a company car (e.g. have had a car reserved for your own use both for work and for pleasure purposes) but have lost it due to retirement, change in position or due to changes in taxation laws, you will be allowed NCD in accordance with the number of claim free years immediately preceding the start date of your motor insurance policy.

How do I renew my policy?

You will be sent a renewal invitation 21 days before your renewal date which will include your premium for the coming year.

If you pay by Direct Debit or credit card and have opted in, we will automatically renew your policy each year using the payment details you have given us. Your documents will be issued approximately ten days before renewal. Please contact us prior to your renewal date if you wish to renew using a different payment method or to cancel your policy.

How early can I get my new renewal documents?

You should automatically receive your documents at least 21 days before your renewal date. Your new premium should be available 25 days before the renewal date for you to make changes to your policy.

Can I renew my car insurance online?

Unfortunately at the moment we are unable to offer this online. You can renew, make amendments to your policy or make any payments by calling  our Customer Service department on 0800 056 9169.

What should I do if I want to cancel my car insurance policy?

To cancel your policy please return your Certificate of Motor Insurance to the address shown on the reverse of the Certificate. Please complete the  section ‘Reason for return of Certificate’, writing only in the boxes supplied. You will be entitled to a pro rata refund providing you have made no claims within the policy year (there will be an administration fee of up to £50 if you cancel your policy mid-term).

I need to contact you in writing, what is the address?

Saga Services Limited
Middelburg Square
CT20 1AZ

If I send a cheque to Saga, how will I know it has been received?

Once the cheque has been processed, we will send you an acceptance letter. This normally takes between three and five working days.

Why do you ask Data Protection questions when calling?

It is important for us to ensure that your personal data is kept secure at all times. By asking you a series of questions, we aim to ensure that we are only speaking to you, or someone with your authority acting directly on your behalf.

Do you have any additional cover options?

We have a range of additional cover options to help you tailor our cover to your specific needs. See our Additional cover options section for more information.

Who repairs my car if I have an accident?

We have a nationwide repairer network, who guarantee to provide you a replacement car while they fix yours. All of our repairers guarantee their work for five years, and will ensure that your car is cleaned before returning it you.

What steps are you taking to combat fraud?

We are committed to protecting honest policyholders so if false or inaccurate information is provided and fraud is identified, details will be passed to fraud prevention agencies to prevent fraud and money laundering (further details can be found within our preventing fraud pages).

What is Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE)?

Continuous Insurance Enforcement is motor insurance law that has been introduced in England, Scotland and Wales, to ensure that all vehicles are either insured, or have been registered as ‘off road’ with a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN). If your vehicle isn’t used on a road or other public place, you do not need to buy insurance for it if you have made a SORN declaration. So if you usually put your car away for the winter and cancel your car insurance, or if it's off-road and on private land for some other reason, make sure you submit a SORN, otherwise you may face a fixed penalty fine, court prosecution, or having the vehicle seized and destroyed.

Share this page