Paying too much council tax? Check your council tax band

Holly Thomas / 05 February 2015 ( 29 March 2017 )

You could be paying too much council tax if your property has been given the wrong banding. Here’s how to find out your council tax band and get it rebanded.

Could council tax rebanding help you?

Do you know whether you are paying too much council tax each year?

Each property – whether a house or flat – is placed into a council tax band which determines the level of council tax charged.

Council tax bands are a matter of public record. You can check the banding for your home – and in fact, any address you like - and apply for council tax rebanding.

Informative, in-depth and in the know: get the latest news, interviews and reviews with Saga Magazine.

Am I paying too much council tax?

Over the years, it has come to light that many households have been wrongly banded along the way, prompting many people to question their own banding.

There is a seemingly arbitrary and secret way in which council tax rates are decided. A rule of thumb is that unless there is something unique about your property, it will be in the same tax band as your neighbours’ homes, and an appeal to be placed in a cheaper council tax band is unlikely to succeed.

However, homes are forever being extended and improved, which means houses on a street are not necessarily the same.

What benefits could you be eligible for?

Check your council tax band

You can check the council tax band for your property on this government website: Check your Council Tax band - all you need is your full address. 

The council tax band of every house in England and Wales is listed on the Valuation Office Agency - or, in Scotland, the website of the Scottish Assessors Association

Once you know which band your house is in, check that of neighbours with similar-sized properties. You will need to know how much your house was worth back in 1991, the year on which council tax banding is based, for those in England. In Wales properties are banded based on 2003 numbers.

Check out house prices on property websites such as Zoopla and Rightmove that provide free historic sales information.

Find out more with the Saga Equity Release Advice Service.

Challenge your council tax band

To challenge your council tax banding, write to your local listing officer at the Valuation Office Agency or fill in a form on its website.

If your challenge is rejected, you have three months to appeal to the Valuation Tribunal. If you win, you will get a sum backdated to your first payment for that property.

Find out about challenging parking tickets

A few words of caution when challenging council tax banding

Watch out for doorstep salesman who might offer to take on the task on your behalf. Why pay someone, when you can do it yourself, free of charge, direct with the Valuations Office Agency?

If it agrees your band is wrong, the council will change your council tax band and will then update your tax bill. Any previous overpayments will be refunded.

Many people get told they can't challenge their banding, as they've lived in the property more than six months. Ignore this, as the Local Listings Office has a legal obligation to ensure all properties' bands are correct.

And remember, your council tax band can be moved up as well as down, so it could work against you and cost you extra each year. 

Equally, it could draw attention to the fact your neighbours are not in the correct band and they will end up paying more as a result of your enquiries.

Read our guide to beating nuisance callers

Money expert Paul Lewis comments on the March 2017 council tax rise:

When your council tax bill hits the doormat this month it may be an unpleasant surprise. After years of cuts in government funding and rising costs, many councils, especially in England, are expected to raise the tax by nearly 5% – adding £60 or so to the average bill.

1. If you live alone it should be cut by 25%, knocking £300 a year off the typical bill. And some people who live with you are not counted – including full-time students.

2. If you have a low income you can get your bill cut under the local council tax support rules. In England the discounts are bigger for people over state pension age than for younger householders. If you have reached that age recently it’s worth reapplying, even if you’ve been refused before.

Next article: Can you beat the rising TV costs?  >>>

Try 12 issues of Saga Magazine for just £12

Subscribe today for just £12 for 12 issues...

The opinions expressed are those of the author and are not held by Saga unless specifically stated.

The material is for general information only and does not constitute investment, tax, legal, medical or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation.