Car breakdown insurance
Monday to Friday 8.30am - 8pm
Saturday 8.30am - 5pm
Sunday 9am - 5pm
Our breakdown cover
Saga Breakdown Assistance offers a choice of five cover levels designed to provide you with the reassurance you need, from standard roadside assistance to a comprehensive rescue and recovery service, starting from as little as £39.99 a year.
Whichever cover level you choose, you could benefit from:
- An average call out time of under 57 minutes*
- Reassurance that eight out of ten repairable breakdowns are fixed at the roadside*
- Assistance 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
- Unlimited UK call outs
- Cover for breakdowns including, punctures, flat batteries and running out of fuel.
*Based on analysis carried out between March 2020 and February 2021.
Saga car insurance policyholders can add Saga Breakdown Assistance to their cover at a discounted rate.
For full details of our cover levels see our cover table below.
Saga's range of insurance products is designed specifically for our customers and is unique to us. Saga Essential, Home Call and National Recovery Breakdown Assistance is provided by RAC Motoring Services. Saga Comprehensive, Premier, Motorhome Assistance and Motorhome Assistance Plus Breakdown Assistance is provided by RAC Motoring Services and RAC Insurance Limited.
Call 0800 656 9915 to get a quote. Our team will be happy to help you get the breakdown cover you need.
What does our breakdown insurance include?
Saga Breakdown Assistance offers five cover levels to make sure you're properly covered:
- Essential – Roadside repair, or recovery to the nearest garage plus reimbursement of taxi costs to take you and your passengers up to 20 miles*
- Home Call – Repair at home or roadside, or recovery to the nearest garage plus reimbursement of taxi costs to take you and your passengers up to 20 miles
- National Recovery – Roadside repair, or recovery to your home or a garage anywhere in the UK*
- Comprehensive – Repair at home or roadside, or recovery of your car, you and your passengers to your home or a garage anywhere in the UK, hire car or overnight accommodation
- Premier – All the above, plus cover for roadside repair and recovery in 55 countries and territories in Europe, and transport to your holiday departure point if you break down en route and we are unable to fix your car. Plus, if your car breaks down within 24 hours of your planned departure date in the UK, we'll arrange a hire car for up to 14 days so you can proceed with your trip.
*When breakdown occurs at least 1/4 mile from your home address or where the car is normally kept.
Compare our breakdown cover levels
|Essential||Home Call||National Recovery||Comprehensive||Premier|
|Roadside repair – if you are at least 1/4 mile from your home, you only pay the costs of any parts fitted||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Puncture repair – for your car, or your caravan/trailer when you are towing||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Recovery – of your car to any destination of your choice within ten miles of the breakdown||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|National Recovery – similar to Recovery above but to anywhere in the UK||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Home Call – assistance at your home, or within 1/4 mile of your home||No||Yes||No||Yes||Yes|
|Driver Care – we will give you a hire car, alternative transport or overnight accommodation if you cannot use your car, plus up to £150 for travel costs to collect your vehicle after repair if necessary||No||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|European Cover – in 55 countries and territories across Europe||No||No||No||No||Yes|
|Holiday Departure Cover – if your car breaks down within 24 hours of a planned departure date in the UK, we’ll arrange a hire car for up to 14 days to allow you to continue your trip.||No||No||No||No||Yes|
For the full policy features and benefits please see our Policy Book.
Call 0800 656 9915 to get a quote today.
Additional cover optionsAdditional vehicle cover
You can add cover for up to three additional vehicles for you or other drivers living at the same address. Make sure other drivers at your address enjoy the added peace of mind when driving their own car by including them on your policy.Personal cover
By adding personal cover, you have the reassurance that your cover is extended for any car you and your spouse/partner (or nominated driver aged 50 or over living at the same address) drive or travel in, anywhere in the UK
The Policy Book provides you with all the information you need when taking out Saga Breakdown Assistance and includes our additional cover options and all necessary terms and conditions.
Download Policy Book for policies with a cover start date on or after 1 May 2019.
What to do in the event of a breakdown
If you are a Saga Breakdown Assistance customer, in the event of a breakdown please call our 24-hour claims line on 0800 068 1966.
Alternatively, you can report your breakdown online.
We aim to ensure that every claim is dealt with quickly and with minimum fuss.
Safety when you break down
The most important thing is your safety and that of your passengers and other road users. So, if your car does break down, here are some things you can do to help:
- If possible, try to park your car in a safe place
- Switch on your hazard warning lights to notify other road users that you have broken down
- Place your warning triangle 45 metres behind your broken-down vehicle
- If it is dark, or there is poor visibility, keep your sidelights on.
If you break down on the motorway:
- Pull in to the hard shoulder as far to the left as possible
- Switch on your hazard warning lights, and leave sidelights on if there are low light conditions
- Do not display your warning triangle, as this is a hazard to other road users
- If you can, make sure you and your passengers are out of the vehicle and wait behind the crash barrier away from the traffic.
If you are a Saga Breakdown Assistance customer and have any unpaid costs from a claim that are covered under your policy please see the form below for further details:
Frequently asked questions
A list of all the questions that we are asked most often.
If you take personal cover you are covered for a breakdown in any car that you are driving or travelling in, anywhere in the UK.
If you take additional vehicle cover, you can add up to three more cars to your policy, provided they are kept at the same address as yours.
With all our cover levels the car is covered for anyone providing they have a full UK or EU driving licence and they are driving it with your permission.
We treat running out of fuel as a breakdown on all five levels of cover. So, you are covered if you run out of fuel, subject to the cover limits that apply to your chosen cover level.
Your caravan or trailer will be recovered to the same destination as your car, according to the level of cover you have chosen. If you have Premier cover and are driving within the EU, we will recover your car and caravan/trailer back to the UK.
Tyre changes due to punctures are included in every level of cover if the puncture happens while you are on the road. With Home Call, Comprehensive and Premier you are also covered for punctures at your home address.