Skip to content
Back to Insurance
Back to Holidays
Back to Saga Money
Back to Saga Magazine
Senior woman wearing headphones watching movie on laptop


Stay safe and protected at home with dedicated over 50s home insurance

Secure your home and contents with 3-year fixed price over 50 home insurance

You’ll feel safe and protected in your home with Saga home insurance policies. Our building and contents insurance for over 50s is designed specifically for you and your needs at this stage of your life.

Over 50s home insurance costs explained

People sometimes ask, is over 50s home insurance cheaper? It can be, but before we tell you why, it might first be helpful to explain what the cost of your insurance premium actually pays for.

The biggest share of the money you pay for over fifties insurance goes into the pot to pay policyholders when they make a claim. And when claims costs increase, the price of insurance has to increase too. Your money also goes towards insurance premium tax, business running costs and profits, and regulators like the Financial Conduct Authority.

Price isn't the only factor you should consider when looking at the cover you need to protect your home and its contents. However, insurance providers tend to consider people over 50 a lower risk when it comes to providing home insurance, as they are less likely to make a claim, and claims tend to be for lower amounts.

Like all insurance premiums, the price you pay will reflect your personal circumstances, such as your location, the type of property you live in and your claims history. But some more general factors are at play when it comes to cheap over 50s insurance for your home:

  • People in their 50s often have long experience of being a homeowner, and that experience helps them know what it takes to maintain and upkeep a property to avoid common problems such as burst pipes that might result in claims.
  • With a history of home insurance and having possibly made claims in the past, older homeowners have been through a claims process before and can be more accurate about valuing and claiming for their possessions.
  • People tend to become more security conscious as they age, making sure their property is left secure at all times, introducing additional security measures such as burglar alarms and taking part in active Neighbourhood Watch Schemes.

When you are specifically seeking cheap house insurance for over 50s, be sure to check the policy details carefully to make sure you select a policy that will give you the best over 50s home insurance for your specific needs.

Want to know more? Get a quote online

What are the benefits of over 50s home insurance?

Over 50s home insurance ensures sure that, if the unexpected happens to your home or its contents, you’ll be able to put right any damage caused and replace things that you need.

Legally you aren’t obliged to have over 50s home insurance in the UK, but a mortgage provider won’t usually be able to put a mortgage in place without you at least having buildings insurance.

If you own your home without a mortgage, it still makes sense to have over 50s building and contents insurance, to protect you against unexpected costs.

Higher amounts of contents or building cover can be included in policies targeted at the over 50s, and specific benefits may be added that are most relevant to older homeowners such as:

  • a longer unoccupied home period so you can take longer holidays
  • medical equipment on loan cover
  • carer’s personal belongings cover
  • loss of or damage to plants, lawns, shrubs and garden contents.
Defaqto 5 star rated home insurance 2014-2024

Defaqto 5 Star rated home insurance

We are proud to offer five-star treatment every day with Saga Home Insurance – Defaqto 5 Star rated every year since 2014.

What types of over 50s home insurance are there?

Over 50s home insurance is made up of two types of insurance:

  • Buildings insurance – protects the structure of your home. This includes things like the roof and walls, and permanent fixtures and fittings, like doors and windows. In the event of a successful claim, this will cover repair or rebuilding costs, subject to policy excesses
  • Contents insurance – This provides cover against the damage, theft and loss of personal possessions. This can include belongings you leave at home or ones you take out and about with you too.

You can get separate cover in different policies, or you can get combined cover in one over 50s buildings and contents insurance policy.

Saga offers two levels of cover targeted at over 50s, Saga Plus and Saga Select.

Saga Plus is a three-year fixed-price home insurance with added extras, and comes with our claims promise that most claims won’t affect your fixed price (T&Cs apply).

Saga Select is our no-nonsense cover for when you need a little less cover but the same great service.

Who are Saga's home insurance policies underwritten by?

Saga Home Insurance policies, exclusively for people over 50, are unique products designed specifically for our customers. They are underwritten by a number of carefully selected insurers that provide our high standards of quality and service.

Get a quote for Saga Home Insurance today

Home insurance FAQs
Can over 50s building and contents insurance cover higher value properties and contents?

If you’re looking beyond our standard over 50s home insurance and need cover for over £1 million buildings or over £100,000 contents, our Saga TailorMade Home Insurance for over 50s can provide higher levels of cover as well as many great features and benefits, such as worldwide cover for your valuables and accidental damage as standard.

Please see Saga TailorMade Home Insurance for more information and to get a quote. You can also call our specialist TailorMade team on 0800 096 3251.

Do I need over 50s home insurance?

It isn’t a legal requirement to have over 50s home insurance in the UK, but if your property is mortgaged the mortgage provider will usually require you to at least have buildings insurance.

If you own a property without a mortgage, it’s still important to have over 50s building and contents insurance in place, as the costs of repair or replacement could run very high if your home is damaged or its contents are stolen.

Over 50s home insurance is designed with you in mind, giving you the right amount of cover for what’s important to you, and allowing you to choose the options that would be most useful to have.

Find out more about additional cover options and get a quote online

Do I need over 50s home insurance if I live in a retirement home?

Buildings insurance should be covered by the retirement home you move into, as you are not the owner of the building, although you may be paying a contribution to this via any management fees.

This might not cover your belongings, so contents home insurance for elderly residents may be needed separately, to protect personal possessions.

You should check what’s included under the retirement home’s insurance policy before moving in.

Saga do offer policies for single-room contents cover for retirement/care homes, please call 0800 302 9844 to get a personalised quote.

Does over 50s home insurance cover mobility scooters

Over 50s home contents insurance does not always cover mobility aids such as your mobility scooter or electric wheelchair as standard. Whether you are covered or not may depend on if the mobility scooter is registered for road use. Cover might be available as an additional option, or you might need to take out specialist mobility scooter cover.

Saga Home Insurance for over 50s covers mobility scooters as long as they are not registered for road use. Mobility scooters must always be specified on the policy, regardless of value, to be covered away from home - they do not fall under unspecified personal belongings. The same applies for electric wheelchairs (and golf buggies).

You should always inform your insurer if you have a mobility scooter, and check your policy documents so you know exactly what’s covered.