Skip to content
Back to Insurance
Back to Holidays
Back to Saga Money
Back to Saga Magazine
A stylish mature man with a grey beard standing in front of his house


Feel secure and protected with buildings insurance up to £1 million

5 star rated buildings insurance cover with a 3-year fixed price

Because it’s more than bricks and mortar, you want to be sure you have the right cover in place should the unexpected happen to your home. Saga’s award-winning buildings insurance is available with a 3-year fixed price, if nothing changes, so you can rest easy knowing you’re protected for the future.

What is buildings insurance?

Buildings insurance protects your home against the unexpected, making sure that you can afford to repair damage caused by events such as fires, floods, or storms. The price of buildings insurance is determined by the type, size, value and location of your property, and should cover the full cost of rebuilding your house from the ground up, including outbuildings.

What does buildings insurance cover?

Buildings insurance typically covers damage to walls, windows and the roof, and to permanent fixtures and fittings such as baths, toilets and fitted kitchens. It will also cover costs against damage to garages, sheds and garden walls, and the cost of replacing items such as pipes, cables and drains if accidentally damaged.

What does Saga Plus buildings insurance cover?

At Saga, our 5-star Defaqto rated Saga Plus buildings insurance cover includes:

Alternative accommodation

If you can't live in your home during a claim.

No cancellation fee

If you cancel during the year we won't charge you a cancellation fee.

Accidental damage

Cover for everyday mishaps causing damage to your home or its fixtures & fittings.

Claims promise

Most types of claim won't affect your fixed price.

A 3-year fixed price

With Saga Plus your price won’t go up for three years, if nothing changes. You can make changes to your policy whenever you need to, and you don’t have to renew if you don’t want to. T&Cs apply.

Extended cover

For when your home is unoccupied for up to 60 days in a row, such as if you go on a long holiday.

Trace, access and repair of water and oil leaks

Finding and fixing a water or oil leak causing damage to your buildings, even if caused by wear and tear, up to sum insured with Saga Plus or up to £5,000 with Saga Select.

A choice of cover levels

Saga Plus includes even more great features for buildings insurance cover and a price that stays the same for three years. You can find out more in the 3-year fixed price terms and conditions.

Saga Select is our no-nonsense cover. While it doesn’t come with our 3-year fixed price or other extra features you get with Saga Plus, it’s still 5-star Defaqto Rated. And you can also add optional extras.

Not sure which buildings insurance policy to choose? Compare the two policies and decide which one will best suit your needs.

Compare cover levels

Situation Saga Select Saga Plus
A violent storm damages your roof
You lose your keys and need new locks fitted to your external doors
Up to £1,000
You need to stay in alternative accommodation while your home is being repaired during a claim.
Up to £100,000
You put a hot pan on the kitchen worktop and damage the surface.
Your flooring has to be replaced because we took it up to trace and fix a leaking water pipe causing damage to your home.
Up to £5,000
You damage the bath while doing DIY and it can’t be repaired or replaced to match the sink and toilet – we will replace the whole set.
3-year fixed price - if nothing changes you can expect to pay the same price for 3 years (T&C apply).

Who are Saga's home insurance policies underwritten by?

Saga Home Insurance policies, exclusively for people over 50, are unique products designed specifically for our customers. They are underwritten by a number of carefully selected insurers that provide our high standards of quality and service.

Get a quote for buildings insurance today

Elegant senior woman relaxing on couch, reading a book

Saga TailorMade Home Insurance

If you need higher cover limits (more than £100,000 for your contents or £1 million for your buildings insurance), have a look at Saga TailorMade Home Insurance. Our policy specifically designed for higher-value homes like yours.

Find out more

What isn’t covered by buildings insurance?

A buildings insurance policy will typically not cover general wear and tear, damage caused by neglecting your property and bad workmanship, but exclusions vary between providers.

Saga Plus and Saga Select policies do not cover the following:

  • The cost of preparing a claim

  • Loss or damage caused by wear and tear or gradual deterioration

  • Loss or damage caused by subsidence, ground heave or landslip to boundary and garden walls, gates, hedges, fences, paths, terraces, drives, patios, permanently-built swimming pools or ornamental pools, tennis courts, septic tanks, or central-heating gas or oil tanks unless your home is damaged at the same time by the same cause

  • Movement to solid floor slabs unless the foundations beneath the outside walls of your home are damaged at the same time by the same cause

  • Settlement

  • Swelling or shrinking of infill materials

  • The coast or river bank being worn away

  • Storm or flood to timber gates, fences and hedges

  • Structural changes, structural repairs or demolition

  • Faulty workmanship, faulty design or using faulty materials

  • Lopping, topping or felling of trees on your property

  • Malicious acts or vandalism by you or any persons lawfully in your home

  • Malicious acts or vandalism, escape of water or theft or attempted theft when your home is unoccupied or unfurnished

  • Mechanical or electrical fault, failure or breakdown

  • Any excess shown in your schedule

How does buildings insurance differ from contents insurance?

Buildings only insurance covers the structure of the home insured and its fixtures and fittings, as well as any outbuildings. Contents insurance covers items of value kept within the home and sometimes when you take those items outside.

Home and buildings insurance are sometimes used as interchangeable terms, which might make you wonder if buildings insurance is the same as home insurance. In a policy you can buy cover for your buildings insurance and then cover for your contents insurance. Some policies cover both buildings and contents together and just refer to this as home insurance to keep things simple.

At Saga we offer separate policies for buildings and contents, or we can combine buildings and contents insurance together, as we believe in making our insurance simple to understand and easy for you to make a claim when necessary.

How much should I insure my building for?

Your home needs to have buildings insurance cover for the amount it would cost to rebuild the property today, rather than the current market value or the amount you bought it for. If your home is damaged or destroyed in an accident, buildings insurance will cover the cost of rebuilding it, including clearing the land and architect fees.

Getting the amount you are insured for right is important as with too little buildings insurance you could be left short when it comes to needing to rebuild your home.

Defaqto 5 star rated home insurance 2014-2024

Defaqto 5 Star rated home insurance

We are proud to offer five-star treatment every day with Saga Home Insurance – Defaqto 5 Star rated every year since 2014.

Do you need buildings insurance?

Buildings insurance cover isn’t a legal requirement in the UK, but if you have a mortgage on your property then the mortgage provider won't usually lend money for the mortgage without it.

If you own your home outright, it’s still a good idea to have annual buildings insurance in place to guard against unexpected costs. If you are buying a new home, you should have cover in place when you exchange contracts, as that’s when you become financially responsible for the property.

Having buildings insurance means that you will be covered for what can be very high costs if your home is damaged and in need of major repairs or even a complete rebuild.

How do I work out the rebuild value of my house?

Buildings insurance costs depend on the rebuild value of your home, and while property prices vary across the country, the costs of labour, materials and surveys for a rebuild have increased for everyone.

With industry costs rising so sharply in recent years, you need to make sure you still have the right amount of cover should you need to use it, based on an up-to-date rebuild value.

Current rebuild costs will vary depending on whether your property is built from standard or non-standard materials. If you have a home that's built of non-standard materials (that is, not brick, stone or concrete), or that's listed or has special architectural features, rebuild costs may be higher.

If you haven't calculated the rebuild value of your property for insurance purposes recently, here's how you can do it.

For standard-built houses and some types of flats, you can use an online calculator from the Building Cost Information Service to give you an idea of the rebuild value of your house. However, the BCIS calculator cannot be used for listed buildings due to the many additional complexities involved in rebuilding them. To get an accurate value for the rebuild cost of a listed property, you may need to get a professional surveyor to complete a rebuilding cost assessment of the property.

For most standard properties we offer buildings cover of up to £1 million, so we don't usually need to ask you for your exact rebuild cost. The times when we will ask are:

  • If the property was built before 1850
  • If the property has six or more bedrooms
  • If the property is a listed building (any grade)

Building insurance FAQs

Can I get buildings insurance in a flood risk area?

Saga is a member of the Flood Re insurance scheme, which was developed by the government and insurance industry aimed at helping households that have the highest risk of flooding. It allows the insurer to pass the flood risk part of your buildings insurance onto Flood Re, making insurance more widely available to those homes that have a high risk of flooding. For more information and to find out if you are eligible, please visit our Flood Re page.

Does buildings insurance cover leaks?

Buildings insurance from Saga covers trace, access and repair of a water or oil leak that is causing damage to your home, even when the cause is wear and tear.

Saga’s buildings insurance policies will cover you as long as it has been agreed in advance for locating the source of water or oil damage including the reinstatement of any wall, flooring or ceiling removed or damaged during the search and the repair of any leaking water or oil pipes.

You're insured against water damage caused by leaking or overflowing domestic drains, water or heating installations, kitchen appliances and fixed domestic water installations.

You can find more details in the buildings insurance policy details.

Does buildings insurance cover roof repairs?

It depends what has caused the damage and what is in your buildings insurance policy documentation. A roof can be damaged by storms, falling debris or just by gradual wear and tear, so if roof damage is caused by sudden action from a storm or a fallen tree, then you’re likely to be covered. But if the damage is a result of wear and tear, you will not be covered.

Saga Plus and Saga Select policies cover loss or damage caused by falling trees, branches, lampposts, telegraph poles, electricity pylons, poles or overhead cables, to the insured amount.

You can find more details in the buildings insurance policy details.

Does buildings insurance cover subsidence?

The majority of buildings insurance policies will cover your property against subsidence as standard if it hasn’t been affected by subsidence in the past. Saga buildings insurance policies cover your property for subsidence, ground heave of the site on which the building stands, or landslip.

If your property has been subject to subsidence before, you will need to provide all the details of previous subsidence and whether issues have been fixed to the insurance provider when you are looking for buildings insurance cover. The insurance quote you get will depend on the answers to these questions, and your premium may be higher as a result of previous subsidence issues.

At Saga we will usually ask for a copy of a surveyor's or structural engineer's report to confirm previous subsidence issues have been fully repaired before we can proceed with your quote.

If your home has a history of subsidence and you'd like to see if we can insure you, please call us on 0800 015 0521

When should buildings insurance start

Buildings insurance should usually start when you become legally responsible for a property, rather than when you move into the property. When you exchange contracts (in Scotland this is known as "conclusion of missives"), you need to make sure you have cover in place. Mortgage lenders will typically insist you have cover in place from this date until your mortgage is paid off. If you are buying a property without a mortgage, it is still important to have good buildings insurance cover in place from the date you become the legal owner.

Please note that this is for information only and does not constitute legal advice. If you are in any doubts, ask your solicitor who will be able to advise you when your buildings insurance should start.