Skip to content
Back to Insurance
Back to Holidays
Back to Saga Money
Back to Saga Magazine
An elegant mature lady gazing longingly out of her car window


Frequently asked questions

Do you have a question about Saga Car Insurance? Here are some questions we are frequently asked about our car insurance.

If you can't find the answer you are looking for, you can chat to our online team who will be happy to help. Chat with us now

My car insurance cover

Am I covered to drive in the EU?

Yes, you and any drivers named on the policy are. Both Saga Select and Saga Plus include cover for driving in EU countries for an unlimited amount of time. Saga Standard includes cover to drive in the EU for up to 90 days in any policy year. We also include some other countries – check which countries are covered.

For most countries we cover, you don’t need a green card anymore.

Find out more about driving in Europe.

Am I covered to drive other vehicles?

It's worth checking your Policy Schedule for any endorsements, as exclusions may apply due to certain occupations.

If no exclusions apply, you can drive a car that you don’t own or that isn’t insured by you or your spouse or partner, but only on a third-party basis.

Third-party is the most basic level of car insurance, and means that if you have an accident that’s your fault, your insurance will only cover the cost of repairing the other person’s car and their medical expenses. Damage to the car you’re driving or any injuries to you won’t be covered.

You’ll also need to have the permission of the car’s owner to drive it, and it must be insured in its own right.

Do I need to tell you if I've been convicted of a crime?

You must tell us about any driving offences you’ve been convicted of in the last five years (this also applies to anyone named on your policy). This includes fixed penalty notices for offences like speeding, driving without due care, and drug or alcohol-related convictions. You’ll need to give us the date of the conviction and the conviction code – you can find these on the website. Please give us a call on 0800 302 9735 if you need to do this.

If you’ve been caught speeding and have since attended a speed awareness course, you don’t have to declare a conviction. You also don’t need to tell us about parking tickets (also known as penalty charge notices).

You must also disclose any unspent non-motoring convictions you have. If you're in England or Wales and unsure whether your conviction is spent, or if it should be disclosed, you can check online before starting your quote.

Does Saga cover classic cars/imported vehicles?

It is possible to insure an imported vehicle as long as the car meets our specific criteria:

  • The vehicle must be imported from Europe
  • It must have been built to a UK or EU specification and have been modified for use in left-hand drive traffic
  • The vehicle must appear on the ABI vehicle listing

Whilst we do not offer a specific classic car policy with an agreed value, we do not have a vehicle age limit and may be able to insure a classic car under our normal policy terms. If you have any questions about insuring an imported or classic car, please call us on 0800 302 9735 and one of our Customer Service team will be happy to help.

Do you need to know about my health issue or medical condition?

We do not need to know about any health issue or medical condition as long as the DVLA have not restricted or removed your licence.

Check if your health condition will affect your driving or tell DVLA about a medical condition.

Does Saga insure electric cars?

Yes, we offer insurance cover for a wide variety of electric cars.

To find out if we can cover your electric vehicle and how much it will cost, get a quote online.

Does Saga offer temporary cover?

You may be able to add a temporary driver or vehicle to your policy for up to a total of 28 days, subject to acceptance criteria. The additional vehicle must be legally owned.

Additional drivers can also be added on a permanent basis if this is more suitable, subject to acceptance criteria.

Please give us a call on 0800 302 9735 and one of our Customer Service team will be happy to help.

Is voluntary work covered?

Yes, while your vehicle is being used for voluntary work in connection with a UK-registered voluntary or charitable organisation as long as you receive no financial gain and it is voluntary.

If I need extra support to understand my policy, what services are available to me?

We understand that insurance can be complicated, some of the questions we ask can seem technical and might be difficult to understand. It’s important that you are comfortable and confident that your insurance meets your needs.

To help us help you:

  • Don’t be worried about asking questions
  • Don’t be afraid to ask us to repeat a question
  • Please tell us if you need us to slow down or speak up
  • If you would prefer us to speak to someone you trust who you would like to make decisions on your behalf, just let us know
  • If a call becomes overwhelming, please let the call handler know, and we’ll call you back once you’ve had a break.

To speak to our friendly customer services team, call 0800 656 9915. We also have a Saga Support Services webpage and webchat function on our website if you have a question and don’t want to call. Chat with us now.

Is my windscreen covered if it's broken or damaged?

Yes, we include windscreen cover with Saga Plus, Saga Select and Saga Standard. And if you claim for this it won’t affect your No Claim Discount.

With Saga Plus and Saga Select, as long as you use one of our approved repairers and they don’t need to replace your windscreen, you won’t even have to pay for it (Saga Standard has a £25 excess for repairs).

If your windscreen does needs replacing, and you use a Saga approved repairer, you’ll have to pay a £75 excess (£100 excess with Saga Standard).

Different T&Cs apply if you use someone we haven’t approved – you can find more about this in the ‘Broken glass’ section of your policy book.

What is your 3-year fixed price?

Our flagship Saga Plus cover level comes with 3-year fixed price car insurance. This means you get a price that won't go up for three years if nothing changes and the freedom to leave any time you like during the policy year with no cancellation fee. And if you make any mid-term changes like a new car or revised mileage you won't be charged an admin fee either.

Read all the terms and conditions and find out more about our 3-year fixed price.

Am I covered if my car's vandalised?

Yes, you are. Our Saga Plus and Saga Select Comprehensive policies include our 'Vandalism Promise' as standard. Which means any valid claims you make for vandalism won't affect your No Claim Discount.

Saga Standard policies will cover you for the damage caused by vandalism, but this may affect your No Claim Discount and could be subject to a policy excess.

What happens if I'm hit by an uninsured driver?

Our Comprehensive policies include cover for this as standard. So if your car’s hit by someone who isn’t insured, as long as it isn’t your fault (and you have the other car’s reg and the accident details), we’ll refund any excess you’ve paid. And it won’t affect your No Claim Discount.

No Claim Bonus FAQs

Can I split my No Claim Bonus between two cars?

You can only use your No Claim Bonus once, so you can only apply your discount to one car and one policy at a time. But you can build up a separate No Claim Bonus on another car insurance policy for a second car.

Can I use a No Claim Bonus from outside the UK?

We accept proof of your No Claim Bonus received from any European Union member country. A No Claim Discount earned in any other country outside of the EU will only be considered if the insurer concerned is a branch of an established UK insurance company.

Can you buy a No Claim Bonus?

Your No Claim Bonus builds up with each year that you have car insurance and you don't make a claim, so the more years you have a No Claim Bonus for, the bigger the potential discount at renewal or when buying a new policy.

You can’t buy a No Claim Bonus, but you can pay to protect it against future claims. Protected No Claim Discount is an additional extra with Saga Standard, but with Saga Plus and Saga Select Comprehensive car insurance policies, protecting your No Claim Discount comes as standard if you have four or more years of claim-free driving.

Can you get a No Claim Bonus as a named driver?

A No Claim Bonus is earned by the main policyholder. A named driver on a Saga policy can’t build up a No Claim Discount from that policy.

The main policyholder’s No Claim Bonus won’t be affected by adding a named driver.

Do my years spent driving a company car count towards my No Claim Discount?

If you’ve had the sole personal use of a company car but have lost it because you’ve retired or your position has changed, or due to changes in taxation laws, you’ll be allowed No Claim Discount in accordance with the number of claim free years immediately before the start date of your motor insurance policy, as long as you can provide proof of the situation to us.

If this affects you please call us and speak to one of our Customer Service team on 0800 302 9735.

Getting a quote

For help getting a new Saga Car Insurance quote
Do Saga do multicar insurance?

It is possible to insure multiple cars with Saga at the same time on separate policies. Although we don’t offer a specific multi car policy, insuring more than one car with Saga can keep things simple for you and be more convenient.

Please note that your No Claim Discount, if you have one, can usually only be used on one policy at a time.

To find out more, see our Multi Car insurance page.

Does Saga offer insurance for less than 12 months?

No. All our Saga policies are for 12 months. However, we may be able to offer temporary cover for both vehicles and drivers which can be added to an existing policy. Call us on 0800 302 9735 to find out more.

How can I pay for my car insurance?

Our monthly or annual premiums can be paid by Direct Debit, subject to a credit check. In addition, annual premiums can be paid by debit or credit card, or by cheque.

All cheques should be made payable to Saga Services Limited. These can be sent to Saga Services Limited, PO Box 253, Seaham DO, SR7 1BN.

How do I change or retrieve a saved quote?

If you got a quote online you can retrieve and make changes to your saved quote through MySaga or alternatively you can call our friendly team on 0800 092 3195.

How do I get a quote?

You can get a quote online or alternatively call one of our friendly team on 0800 092 3195.

How do I request my documents in a different format such as large print or Braille?

You can request any documents in large print, Braille, or audio. Please let us know if you need any of these formats by calling our customer services team on 0800 656 9915.

By asking for this document type, all future correspondences for that policy will also be sent in this format, unless you tell us otherwise.

You can also inform us of any additional support you need via the Saga Support Register form.

Once I've purchased car insurance how can I get my policy documents?

We automatically send an email with a link to your documents so that you can review and download them at any time. They will be added to your MySaga account within 24 hours. If you have requested for your documents to be sent out to you in the post, you should receive them within three to six working days.

Who is Saga Car Insurance underwritten by?

Saga's range of insurance products is designed specifically for our customers and is unique to us. Saga Car Insurance is provided by a number of insurers who all meet our high standards of quality and service.

What is the minimum premium payable?

Minimum premiums are the lowest amount of premium that will be charged to any given customer for a policy. This will vary by product and coverage level.

What happens if I need to make a claim?

How do I make a new claim?

If you wish to make or enquire about a claim, please call us on 0800 001 5424. Make sure you have your policy number, personal details and claims information to hand and our claims assistants will deal with your claim as soon as possible. We also recommended keeping hold of any receipts or photos in case they are lost. If you would like more information, please visit our how to make a claim section. Alternatively, you can refer to your policy book to make sure you are covered for the type of claim.

Will I get a courtesy car while my car is being repaired?

You will get a courtesy car as standard if your car is being repaired by an approved repairer following an accident within the UK.

Additionally you can choose to add our replacement car extension cover to your policy. This will provide you with a replacement car if yours is stolen or written off in the UK – keeping you mobile and giving you time to find and purchase a new vehicle.

Will you use official parts/repairers in the event of a claim?

If the vehicle needs to be repaired our insurers have a nationwide network of partnership repairers.

Partnership repairers ensure a high standard of service and provide high quality repair work, with a five year warranty. Their quality is constantly under review by our own team of engineers. However, if the vehicle is three years old or more and is outside the manufacturer’s warranty period, we may decide to fit replacement parts which have not been made by the car’s manufacturer but are considered of a similar standard or we may fit green parts.

My documents

I can't access my documents online

You can view your documents online simply by logging into MySaga.

If you are having difficulty accessing your MySaga account or any documents, please call 0800 092 9104 or chat with us now.

I have lost my Policy Book and need a replacement

If you have opted to receive your documents by email, please log into MySaga to access them.

Alternatively, you can view our latest Policy Books online under the Policy Book section. If you require an older version of your Policy Book please call 0800 056 9102.

What is MySaga?

MySaga is a secure section of our website, which allows you to view information such as your quotes and policy documents. You can also make changes to your policy details, add extra cover, update your payment details or request copies of your documents.

As well as managing your policy, you can organise your renewal too, all at the touch of a button, so you can be in control of your cover 24/7.

I need to make a change, renew or cancel my policy

Can I add or change my cover, such as additional add-ons, voluntary excess or vehicle usage, mileage and modifications?

Yes, you can amend the set-up of your cover by visiting MySaga.

Can I cancel my car insurance?

If you want to cancel your car insurance, please call us on 0800 056 9167.

Cancellation - Before the policy has started

If you wish to cancel your policy after getting your documents but before your cover has started, you'll get a full refund of the premium paid.

Cancellation - Within the first 14 days

If you wish to cancel your policy within the first 14 days of getting your policy documents, and your cover hasn't started yet, you'll receive a full refund.

However, if your cover has started, you'll get a pro-rata refund of your premium based on the cover you've had. Once your cover has started, the arrangement fee will not be refunded.

Cancellation - After the first 14 days

After the 14 days, you can choose to cancel your car insurance at any time. A £50 cancellation charge may be applied if you cancel midway through your policy term. If you have a Saga Plus policy there'll be no admin fee to pay if you choose to cancel. The arrangement fee is non-refundable if your cover has already started. You'll receive a pro-rata refund for your insurance policy if no claim has been made.

How do I change my address on my car insurance?

If you need to change the address on your policy, please call us on 0800 302 9735 and our Customer Service team will be happy to help. Please have the following to hand when you call:

  • The new address
  • Where the vehicle is usually kept overnight
  • Confirmation that cover level and mileage is still adequate.

We will not charge an administration fee for making this change but please be aware that changing your address may cause the price of your insurance to go up or down. Our friendly team will talk you through this when you call up.

You must update your driving licence, vehicle log book (V5C), Direct Debit for vehicle tax and other details when you move house. Visit the Government website for a step-by-step guide on what you need to change and how to do it.

How do I change my car?

You can change your car by visiting MySaga.

You will need to provide the following:

  • Car reg number
  • Make/Model/Description
  • Engine size (cc)
  • Year of manufacture
  • Vehicle value
  • Any modifications
  • Where the vehicle is kept overnight.

You will also have the opportunity to check the level of cover needed and that the annual mileage is appropriate for your everyday needs.

If you have Saga Breakdown Assistance, we’ll update this too so this can be applied to the new car.

We won't charge you an admin fee if you change your car but the price of your insurance may change.

Don't forget that when you change your car you'll need to tax it before you can legally drive it on the road. You can do this online or at the Post Office. You'll need to tax your car even if you don't have to pay anything because you or your vehicle is exempt.

How do I make a complaint?

At Saga, we strive to ensure that our customers are treated fairly. If you are dissatisfied with a service or product we have provided, we will take your concerns very seriously. It is therefore important to us that our process for handling your concerns is clear and transparent and that you are kept fully aware of how your complaint is progressing.

For more information, and to make a complaint, please visit our complaints page.

How do I renew my policy?

You will be sent a renewal invitation at least 21 days before your renewal date. Your renewal invitation will then also be available for you to review and renew for home and motor policies on MySaga. If you pay by Direct Debit or set up a continuous payment when you took out your policy, don’t worry we will automatically renew it for you.

How do I view and update payment details?

If you need to view your payment schedule and update your payment details for your motor policies, please visit MySaga.

Or call us on 0800 302 9735 and our Customer Service team will be happy to help.

When should I let you know about a change in my circumstances?

It’s important that you tell us as soon as possible about any changes that have occurred since the start of your policy or the last renewal date.

It’s possible a claim may not be covered if your policy details are not up to date.

Some examples of changes that may affect your cover include:

  • Change of address, including where your vehicle will be kept overnight;
  • Change to the use of your vehicle;
  • Change of full or part-time occupation of any of the drivers, including retirement;
  • Change to the driver details, including details of any motoring conviction, pending motoring conviction or fixed penalty offence involving a driver;
  • Change to your annual mileage.

If you’re in any doubt whether a change needs to be advised, please contact our friendly Customer Services team on 0800 056 9167.

For information about how your insurance may be affected when you retire, see our over 60s car insurance page.

Will I be charged a fee for making changes to my car insurance policy?

There are times when you may need to amend your policy, for example if you want to add an additional driver or alter your cover.

Some changes may result in a change to your premium. However, Saga won't charge an administration fee for any changes you make.

Get a quote for Saga Car Insurance today