Skip to content
Back to Insurance
Back to Holidays
Back to Saga Money
Back to Saga Magazine
A man looking out of his kitchen window enjoying a coffee


Contents insurance for renters to protect personal belongings

Up to £100,000 cover with contents insurance for renters, available with 3-year fixed price

Whether you own your own property or are living in rented accommodation, it’s important to know your personal belongings are protected against damage or loss.

Saga’s 5-star Defaqto rated contents insurance for tenants provides peace of mind that your favourite things are covered, wherever you make your home.

What is renters insurance?

Renters insurance, also known as tenant insurance, is contents insurance for renters. If you rent a property, contents insurance provides cover for your personal possessions in case they are stolen or damaged while they’re at home.

Renters insurance may also cover your liability if your landlord’s property or possessions are damaged – helping you protect your deposit.

What does renters insurance cover?

Renters insurance is designed to replace the tenant’s contents in the event of theft, fire or escape of water, including household goods, electrical items and valuables.

We offer Saga Plus and Saga Select home contents insurance for tenants.

Saga Plus and Saga Select cover includes:

  • A choice of contents cover to suit your property up to £100,000

  • Cover for improvements you’ve made as a tenant, such as built-in appliances

  • New for old replacement of items if repair isn’t feasible

  • Alternative accommodation up to £25,000 with Saga Select and up to contents sum insured on Saga Plus, for you and your pets if you have to move out of your home during a claim, plus temporary storage of your contents

  • Optional Legal Expenses to cover legal costs from an unlawful eviction or material breach of a tenancy agreement

  • Cover for your liability as a tenant for up to £15,000 with our Saga Plus cover and £5,000 with Saga Select

Saga Plus cover also includes:

  • Your price will stay the same for three years. As long as nothing changes, your contents insurance price won't go up for three years, even after most claims (T&Cs apply).

  • There are no cancellation fees – if you choose to cancel your policy, you aren’t tied in at all.

  • Claims promise – most types of claims won’t affect the price.

  • Accidental damage as standard (optional with Saga Select) – for any mishaps at home, like sitting on your glasses or staining the carpet.

Compare contents insurance for tenants

Cover and benefits Saga Select Saga Plus
Contents cover up to £100,000
New for old replacement of items if they can't be repaired
Cover for your liability as a tenant

Up to £5,000

Up to £15,000

Accidental damage cover for sudden and unexpected damage to the contents in your home that you own, including TV, spectacles, rugs, curtains, and more
Replacement of matching pairs or sets if we can't repair or replace individual items to match
Damage to your contents by pets
Cover for food and drink kept in your fridge or freezer


Up to sum insured

Personal belongings covered outside the home (Up to £2,500 per item)


Legal Expenses to cover legal costs from an unlawful eviction or material breach of a tenancy agreement

3-year fixed price - if your policy details stay the same you can expect to pay the same price for 3 years, even after most types of claim (T&Cs apply)


Who are Saga's home insurance policies underwritten by?

Saga Home Insurance policies, exclusively for people over 50, are unique products designed specifically for our customers. They are underwritten by a number of carefully selected insurers that provide our high standards of quality and service.

Get a quote for renters insurance today

If you need more than £100,000 cover for your contents please call 0800 096 3251 or see Saga TailorMade Home Insurance.

What isn’t covered by renters insurance?

Our content insurance for renters doesn’t cover:

  • The building itself or its fixtures and fittings
  • Your possessions against general wear and tear or gradual deterioration
  • Your possessions if you haven’t told us you’ll be away for more than 60 days
  • Any business equipment worth over £5,000 if you’re working from home

See the Policy Books for full details of inclusions and exclusions.

Do I need contents insurance as a tenant?

The landlord of a rental property will usually have insurance to cover damage to the building itself, like the roof and walls, but not the tenant’s possessions. So even if you don’t own the property you’re living in, it’s important to have home contents insurance for tenants, especially if you have furnished the property.

The main reason why you may need renters insurance is that if your personal belongings were to be damaged by an event such as fire or flood, or they were stolen from your home, you wouldn’t have to pay to replace them yourself.

How much renters insurance coverage do I need?

To get the best contents insurance for renters for your needs, you’ll need to work out how much it would cost to replace the contents of your rental property.

Go through the property room by room, listing your items and estimating how much it would cost to replace them. Our policies work on a new for old basis, so you’ll be covered for a new item equivalent to the one you insure. Any valuable item or item you want to take outside the home worth over £2,500 will need to be listed on the policy.

Once you have an up-to-date inventory it’s easier to make sure that you buy the right level of cover to protect all your belongings.

If you need more than £100,000 cover for your contents please call 0800 096 3251 or see Saga TailorMade Home Insurance.

Find out more or get a quote for renters insurance

Renters insurance FAQs
Does each tenant need rental insurance?

If you share a house, tenants contents insurance can be a bit tricky, and your premium might be higher if you live in a house, flat share or nursing home due to the number of people going in and out of the property.

If you need contents cover for room only you can call us on 0800 015 0521.

How do I get renters insurance?

Renters insurance is simply contents insurance for people who are renting a property rather than owning their own home. Along with the guide to renters insurance we’ve provided here, you can find out more about Saga Plus and Saga Select contents insurance and get a quote online, or for room only cover call us on 0800 015 0521.

Find out more and get a quote for renters insurance.

Is water damage covered by renters insurance?

For any tenant a flooded house can range anywhere on a scale from inconvenience to disaster. Renters insurance will protect you for damage to your belongings from fire, smoke, lightning, explosion, earthquake, storm, flood and smudging because of fixed oil-fired central heating. So if a pipe bursts or a drain overflows and your belongings are damaged, renters insurance has you covered and can provide alternative accommodation while any repairs are done.

What’s the difference between a tenant and a renter?

When you rent a property to live in, you’ll probably be asked to sign a tenancy agreement that makes you a tenant of that property. So in practical terms, when you’re looking at house insurance for a rental property the terms tenant and renter are interchangeable.

When should I take out renters insurance?

If you’re planning to move into a rental property, it’s best if you have cover in place before you make the move, so that your belongings will be covered from the outset. If you’ve already moved, you can still take out renters insurance at any time during your tenancy.

Find out more and get a quote for renters insurance