Get over 50s car insurance with a 3-year fixed price, designed for experienced drivers
When you have years of safe driving experience under your belt, you know what you’re looking for when it comes to car insurance, and Saga’s car insurance policies will cater to most common needs. Saga’s over 50s car insurance is designed specifically to give you the right levels of cover for you and your car, with the full range of benefits you’d expect.
Is car insurance for over 50s cheaper?
Over 50s car insurance can be cheaper, as age always plays a part when it comes to determining your insurance premium. The over 50s are considered to be one of the safest groups of drivers on the road. In 2020, Department for Transport statistics show that car drivers aged 50-59 were involved in only 12% of reported road accidents in the UK.
Drivers over 50 generally are considered a sound group to insure as they are likely to:
- take fewer risks
- stay within speed limits
- drive fewer miles
- be more experienced in driving
- have good no claims history
So when it comes to car insurance for over 50s, UK insurers are able to offer premiums based on this statistical evidence.
Getting cheap car insurance for over 50s is less important than ensuring you have the right cover for your needs. And even though targeted over 50s car insurance may not always be the cheapest option, the range of benefits that are often included can mean they are well worth considering.
Remember, it’s always worth checking policy details and suitability for your needs to make sure you’re getting the best over 50s car insurance for you.
What are the benefits of over 50s car insurance?
Unlike more general policies, there are added benefits to buying over 50s car insurance through a specialist provider like Saga.
Age and driving experience will help to keep your premium costs affordable, and specific benefits can be particularly relevant, including:
- No upper age limit – get insurance whatever your age
- Emergency any-driver cover – if you have a medical emergency during a journey, with Saga Plus and Saga Select, any driver can take over or bring your car back home
- Unlimited European driving* – you're also covered when you're driving in the EU (some restrictions apply)
- Onward taxi travel – And with Saga Plus only, if you have an accident in the UK and your car's too damaged to drive, we'll arrange a taxi to take you anywhere in the country
*Saga Standard includes cover to drive in the EU for up to 90 days in any policy year.
As a specialist provider of car insurance for over 50s in the UK, we can tailor our policies for your specific needs.
What types of car insurance for over 50 are there?
Car insurance for over 50s drivers varies based on how much cover you need. There are three different types of over 50s car insurance:
- Third party – covers damage to a third party, whether that’s another vehicle, a building or person - but not the cost of repairing or replacing your car.
- Third party, fire and theft – third party, plus cover for your vehicle following fire or theft.
- Comprehensive – covers damage to your car and its occupants, someone else’s car and its occupants, belongings inside your car, vandalism, and may give you a courtesy car if yours can’t be used due to an accident.
Third party insurance is the legal minimum you need to drive your car in the UK, but many people find that Comprehensive car insurance will give them the most peace of mind.
Saga offer three different levels of over 50s car insurance cover, Saga Standard, Saga Select and Saga Plus, each are Comprehensive and offer the same great Saga service so you can choose the most suitable policy for your needs and budget.
- Saga Standard – a straight forward Comprehensive cover that includes a guaranteed courtesy car after an accident in the UK and up to 90 days EU cover.
- Saga Select – Comprehensive car insurance with added extras, such as our uninsured driver promise and emergency any-driver cover.
- Saga Plus – our top cover level with added extras including 3-year fixed price cover (if nothing changes - T&Cs apply), medical treatment after an accident and key protection.
Want to know more about our car insurance for over 50s? Get a quote
What add-ons are available with Saga’s car insurance for over 50s?
As well as the standard insurance benefits that come with Saga’s over 50s car insurance, we also offer a range of options for additional cover, including:
- Saga Breakdown Assistance – to keep you on the road. It can be added to your policy at a discounted rate.
- Legal Protection – standard with our Saga Plus cover level, but can also be added to a Saga Select or Saga Standard policy as an optional extra at any time.
- Replacement car extension – our Comprehensive policies include a replacement car as standard if an approved repairer is repairing your car following an accident in the UK. For an additional cost we can also offer you a replacement car if yours is stolen or written off - keeping you mobile and giving you time to find and purchase a new vehicle.
- Increased Personal Accident – our Comprehensive policies include £5,000 compensation for selected serious injuries as standard. Increased Personal Accident extends cover for serious injuries or accidental death from £5,000 up to £100,000 per person. Although it’s unlikely you'll ever need to make a claim, if the worst does happen the benefit paid out could be substantial and help to compensate for things like loss of earnings, making adjustments to your home, or even just to help paying for things like taxis to medical appointments.
- Key Protection - included as standard with Saga Plus and an optional extra for Saga Select and Saga Standard, we'll cover up to £2,500 per claim and, with us, you even get up to £50 for wear and tear. You won't have to pay an excess and your No Claim Discount won't be affected.
Read all the details about additional cover options for our over 50s car insurance.
Why choose Saga over 50s car insurance?
Saga over 50s car insurance is designed specifically for people over 50 and takes into account the risks and rewards specific to your age group.
Which? Recommended Provider of car insurance
In February, Saga was named a Which? Recommended Provider of car insurance for 2022. Consumer champion Which? only endorses the best products and services. As a completely independent organisation, the granting of Which? Recommended Provider status truly reflects what they think – not what someone else wants them to say.
Our car insurance policies are underwritten by a number of carefully selected insurers that, like us, are committed to providing high standards of quality and service for over 50s car insurance.