How safe are your savings?

The amount of compensation you could receive if your bank goes bust has increased to £85,000.

Keeping your money secure
How much compensation will you get if your bank goes bust?

Savers are being urged to familiarise themselves with changes to the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS), as if they are not careful, some of their hard-earned cash could be at risk.

As of 30 January, 2017, the amount of compensation you could receive if your bank goes bust has increased from £75,000 to £85,000.

While the announcement was first made back in the summer, there are concerns that banks have not done enough to make savers aware of the changes.

Five things your bank will never ask you to do.

Here we take a look at how the FSCS scheme works – and the changes that have been introduced.

What is the FSCS scheme?

The FSCS scheme is a safety net that protects depositors if their bank fails, taking their cash with it.

Eight warning signs that you have been a victim of identity theft.

Take action now

As a saver, you must decide whether to move some of your money in order to remain fully protected. 

Be aware that you may face penalties or lose interest if you move your money about, so factor that into your decision. 

Seven signs that you need to get on top of your finances.

Some brands share a licence

Savers need to be aware that while they can save up to the FSCS limit in each separately registered bank, some banks share a banking licence.

For example, brands such as the Halifax, BM Savings and Saga have the same licence. This means the new compensation limit of £85,000 will apply to the combined savings with those brands as they are part of the same group: Bank of Scotland.

By contrast, you would be able to hold £85,000 with Santander and £85,000 with NatWest, and the full £170,000 would be covered, as these are separate banks.

Annie Shaw's guide to spring cleaning your savings and ISAs.

Spread your money around

The key advice to savers is to spread your money around so that you don’t exceed the limit in any one account.

Talk to your bank

Banks and building societies have produced literature to explain the changes to the FSCS protection. However, there are concerns that customers may find some of this paperwork confusing.

If you are worried about the safety of your money, you need to talk to your bank or building society.

For more useful tips and information, browse our money articles.

The key is to ensure that you have taken the right precautions to give you the peace of mind of knowing that your money is safe.

Esther Shaw / 04 February 2016 (Updated 30 March 2017)
The opinions expressed are those of the author and are not held by Saga unless specifically stated. The material is for general information only and does not constitute investment, tax, legal, medical or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation.

You may be interested in