How to make a claim
Making a claim
Tel: 0800 027 1345 from the UK or +44 (0)1732 223 702 from abroad
Fax: +44 (0)1732 871 482
Lines open 9am-5pm weekdays.
While we aim to provide the highest standards of service, if you have any questions about the handling of a claim you should in the first instance contact our Claims Manager.
Between the hours of 5pm and 10pm weekdays, and 8am and 10pm weekends and bank holidays our claims line is managed by C Claims, who are able to provide initial advice in circumstances that are likely to give rise to a claim under your insurance.
C Claims Helpline will also seek to provide guidance on any necessary information concerning the availability of repairers, surveyors, engineers or other specialists in order to assist you at the initial stage of any problem.
After this initial stage, any further contact should be with us or anybody that we appoint to assist you.
It is most important that, in the event of any incident involving your vessel, you take all reasonable steps to ensure that any loss or damage is kept to a minimum.
Damage to own property
- Take immediate action to safeguard and protect property from further damage or deterioration (may include first aid to the engine)
- Enlist help (professional if necessary) if it is immediately required to safeguard/protect the craft and equipment. If a tow is needed, try to agree a realistic charge or fee before accepting
- Keep all broken/torn/damaged items for inspection.
Damaged by a third party
- If racing, protest the third party if they did not accept a penalty. Obtain witness statements.
- Obtain details of boat type/class/number/name/club and any witness details, in addition to the name and address of helm and boat owner
- Road accidents - obtain details of driver and insurer plus any witnesses, and call the Police to the scene if necessary
- If possible write down all the details and make a sketch of the site.
Damage to third parties
- If a third party wishes to hold you liable for damage (alleged to be your fault) provide them with your insurer's details, your name, policy number, boat type/class and boat name/number
- Do not make any admission of liability and do not make any offer of payment
- It is not necessary to disclose that you are insured (as with motor insurance). If you receive a claim from another party (the third party) acknowledge the correspondence and pass it to us immediately.
- Any theft or malicious damage should be reported to the Police promptly
- Keep a note of the Police Crime Reference Number
- We will also need the serial numbers of any engines, tenders etc
- Notify your club, local harbour master, etc with full details of the theft/vandalism.
While the cost of any of the above actions may not always be fully covered by the terms of your insurance, it is in your own interest to take such action. Should you have any doubts as to what to do you should contact us immediately for advice and assistance. Your local marina may also be able to provide assistance.
1. Please remember that the repair contract is between you and the contractor. Any instructions regarding either repair or replacement must come from you - the owner. You must, however, seek our agreement in the first place.
2. The claim may be subject to deductions in addition to any policy excess and you should read the clauses in the insurance carefully so that you are fully aware of these (e.g. sails, covers and outboard motors).
This claims advice section is intended to provide some guidance should you have to submit a claim under your insurance. It does not form part of any policy wording or give any indication of acceptance of liability by the underwriters.
It is very important that you inform us as soon as possible of any event that may lead to a claim under your insurance. We will forward a claim form to you for completion as soon as you tell us about the incident. This should be fully completed and returned to us as soon as possible, whether or not you intend to make a formal claim.
We may ask you:
(a) to obtain estimates for repairing any damage
(b) to obtain quotations for the replacement of any items lost or destroyed.
Any estimates or quotations should be sent to us without delay. We reserve the right to ask you to obtain alternative estimates.
We may instruct a surveyor to inspect and/or investigate. You should not give any repair instructions without our prior agreement, except in an emergency or to prevent further damage.
When you are satisfied with the repairs, you should pay the bill yourself, then forward the receipted invoices to us.