Skip to content
Back Back to Insurance menu Go to Insurance
Back Back to Saga Money Go to Saga Money
Back Back to Saga Magazine menu Go to Magazine
Search Magazine

How do I improve the soundproofing of my house?

John Conlin / 27 November 2018

A reader would like to reduce the amount of noise heard through the dividing wall of his semi-detached house. Chartered surveyor John Conlin advises.

Girl playing video games
A reader wants to know how to improve soundproofing in his semi-detached house, as he can hear the neighbours' noise


We live in a 30-year-old semi-detached house and clearly hear the noise of our neighbours' normal day to day life (music, television, cooking pans etc) through the dividing wall and our neighbours similarly hear us. We are both looking for a co-operative solution. Any suggestion would be welcome.


Sound is vibration and although it might seem improbable you are hearing your neighbour’s noise because the dividing wall vibrates in response to noise within their house.

Sound proofing is now required in all new houses as part of Building Regulations. Retro soundproofing will never be perfect but can make a significant improvement.

Lining both sides of the dividing wall with acoustic plasterboard mounted on resilience battens and sealed around the outer edges (ceilings, floors and adjacent walls) with resilient gap tape should be a major improvement.

Try 12 issues of Saga Magazine

Subscribe today for just £29 for 12 issues...


The opinions expressed are those of the author and are not held by Saga unless specifically stated. The material is for general information only and does not constitute investment, tax, legal, medical or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation.