Get up to £100K legal cover on car insurance claims for uninsured losses
When accidents happen that aren’t your fault, you don’t want to worry about whether you’ll be able to afford to take legal action if you need to. Motor legal protection can take some of the stress out of difficult situations, so can you really afford not to have it in place?
What is motor legal protection?
Motor legal protection, which is also known as legal expenses cover, pays your legal expenses if you end up in court because of an accident you’ve been involved in.
If you’ve been in an accident that isn’t your fault, you can use motor legal protection to claim for any expenses that aren’t covered by the main part of your car insurance policy, that might include:
- The excess on your car insurance policy
- Costs associated with making a claim
- Medical costs if you or your passengers were injured
- Travel costs if you can’t use your car
- Loss of earnings if an accident means you can’t work
Motor legal cover sometimes comes included with your main car insurance policy, or it can be bought as an optional add-on.
Is motor legal protection included in Saga car insurance?
Motor Legal Protection comes as standard with our Saga Plus car insurance cover and can be added to a Saga Select or Saga Standard policy at any time.
If you’re involved in an accident that isn’t your fault and that was caused by a known insured third party, we’ll provide up to £100,000 towards costs for trained claims handlers to recover uninsured losses following an accident in the UK.
We’ll cover claims as long as the independent legal representative believes you can win your case.
What does legal expenses on car insurance cover?
Our trained claims handlers seek recovery for any uninsured losses from a third party such as:
- Travelling expenses
- Loss of earnings
- Compensation for personal injury
With our motor legal protection you can also benefit from:
- Unlimited access to motoring legal advice for you and your family via our 24-hour confidential helpline
- Cover if you need to take legal action, defend an appeal, or against a motor trader in a dispute involving the purchase, servicing, or repair of your vehicle
- The option of four hours of driver confidence coaching per policy year to be taken as agreed between you and the instructor if you need a confidence boost – whatever the reason
- Up to £10,000 for vehicle cloning claims
- Up to £10,000 of legal costs in respect of any legal claim to pursue the recovery of illegal clamping or towing fees relating to your vehicle.
What isn’t included in legal expenses cover for car insurance?
Motor legal cover insures you against the costs of taking a case to court. It doesn’t include the losses that you’re claiming for.
Most insurers will only agree to provide cover for your case if they believe that you’ll win. They might also refuse to cover you for cases:
- That happened too long ago
- That involved you driving under the influence of drink or drugs
- Where you deliberately caused damage
- That look likely to having very high legal fees for a comparatively small reward
- Any legal expenses that come up before your claim has been approved.
For all exclusions that apply to your cover, please refer to your car insurance policy book.
Do I need motor legal protection?
When you’re trying to decide whether you need legal cover on car insurance, consider how you’d pay for any legal fees if they come up without being insured.
If you have savings you could use, or other insurance that might support you, you might not need to take out motor legal protection. But if you don’t, you could end up paying out very high costs that you’ll need to find from somewhere.
Is motor legal protection worth it?
With Saga Plus Motor Legal Protection is included in your main policy, and it’s an optional add-on to Saga Select and Saga Standard policies that might end up saving you a lot of money.
We include some valuable additional benefits in our legal expenses cover, such as cover for vehicle cloning, illegal towing and clamping, and access to driver confidence coaching, that you might really appreciate if you find yourself in the unfortunate position of having to make a claim.
How do you make a motor legal protection claim?
If you need to make a claim for legal cover on your Saga car insurance, you should call the claims assistance number on 0800 001 5424 so that we can deal with your claim as soon as possible.
You’ll need your policy details, and if possible, the contact and insurance details of anyone else involved. We’ll then take you through the next steps towards making a claim.
How often do car insurance claims go to court?
There aren’t any official records kept as to the number of claims that end up in court in the UK, but legal experts estimate that around 5% of car accident personal injury claims result in the claimant going to court, and the number of cases where you need to appear in court may be less than this.
If you do end up going to court, it could be disruptive and expensive, so it’s definitely worth considering if you’d be better prepared and protected with motor legal cover in place before you need it.